Transgender ‘female’ MMA fighter gives female opponent concussion, broken eye socket

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jun 9, 2015.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Transgender mixed martial arts (MMA) competitor Fallon Fox is facing new criticisms after breaking the eye socket of his last opponent.

On Saturday, Fox defeated Tamikka Brents by TKO at 2:17 of the first round of their match. In addition to the damaged orbital bone that required seven staples, Brents received a concussion. In a post-fight interview this week, she told Whoa TV that "I've never felt so overpowered ever in my life."

“I’ve fought a lot of women and have never felt the strength that I felt in a fight as I did that night. I can’t answer whether it’s because [he] was born a man or not, because I’m not a doctor,” she stated. “I can only say, I’ve never felt so overpowered ever in my life, and I am an abnormally strong female in my own right. ”

His “grip was different,” she added. “I could usually move around in the clinch against...females but couldn’t move at all in Fox’s clinch.”

Fox's gender controversy is not new. In March 2013, after a 39-second knockout victory, it was revealed that Fox had not told the MMA community about his sex-change operation, which took place in 2006. That bout was the fifth straight first-round victory for the then-37-year old Fox, including his three amateur bouts, and his second victory as a professional fighter.

A video of the Brents fight taken by a ringside fan shows Fox throwing several powerful knees to the face and torso of Brents at the start of the match, who pulled guard to protect herself. Soon, Brents turned her back to avoid damage, where she took approximately 45 seconds of elbow and fist strikes – many blocked by her hands and arms – before the referee stopped the fight.

Critics of Fox abound, especially in light of the Brents fight. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) female champ Ronda Rousey told TMZ that while she would fight Fox, allowing transgender men to fight is "a case-by-case scenario."

"I feel like, if you already go through puberty as a man, that's something you can't really reverse," said Rousey, who said that it "would be fine" if a boy who was on hormone therapy to become a woman prior to puberty wanted to fight as a woman.

Because Fox had transgender surgery so late in life, however, Rousey said that he shouldn't fight women.

Likewise, last year, UFC announcer Joe Rogan made his opinion unambiguously and graphically clear, saying on his podcast that a transgendered man would "have all the bone structure that comes with” being a man. “You have bigger hands, you have bigger shoulder joints."

Speaking to LifeSiteNews, military veteran Jeff Nader, who has fought for UFC competitor Bellator, said that “Fallon Fox has had the benefits of being a man for most of his life. [He has] bone density, muscle mass, and other physical benefits that one gets from being a man. You can't have that, and then make a minor adjustment -- basically, a cosmetic adjustment -- and suddenly claim to be a woman."

"Nothing can take away from the fact that you are physically a man. Mentally and emotionally, who knows -- but physically, he's a man."

link

I think this is one of those gray areas...

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. APlotdevice, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I would agree it's a gray area, but the author of this article is pretty clearly biased against transgendered. Constantly referring to Fox as "he", and even misusing the term "transgender men". (which actually refers to those born female who have undergone a sex change to male)

EDIT: Consideringly? Oy vey spell check.

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Lifesitenews biased? You don't say...

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Fallon Fox VS Caytling Jenner cage match.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You kidding? Fallon would totally make Caitlyn her bitch. No contest.

7. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

8. ucfgrad93, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is not a gray area. This should not be allowed. This "woman" could seriously hurt more female fighters.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Surprisingly I agree with you on this one. She could argue that's she's able to live well adjusted and in a better mental state as a woman. This however reminds me of things such as weight classes in boxing. This also isn't a case where others are merely made uncomfortable.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

This not only calls the transgenderism scam into question, it also backs into the controversial lowering of standards resulting in, say, female firefighters who’d have a hard time bringing a large person out of a burning building, therefore increasing danger in exchange of salving social consciousness.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, you're right. Maybe we shouldn't let smaller women work with a rescue team, because they might not be able to pull some burly fat guy out of a blazing building. Maybe we shouldn't let transgender women fight in a female league, because regardless of what they are now, they were men at one point, and they probably have denser muscle mass than most of the people they'll be fighting against, even after hormone therapy.

But let's not take these exceptions and claim they moot the entire subject matter, huh?

12. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

We need to accept transgenders in MMA. It is only fair to accept their self-identities.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Women and men are equal so they shouldn't have an issue. Men should be able to fight in women competitions to show this.

14. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Came to say this.

15. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Is Fallon Fox undefeated or something? If she's lost to women before, then it doesn't seem being transgendered is giving her an unfair advantage.

16. \-V-/, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

\-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

There is no gray area here. He shouldn't be allowed to fight women. He was born with and hit puberty developing male musculature and has a male body. With a male body also generally comes a much naturally stronger upper body than women. This isn't the first time this twat has put women in the hospital with serious injuries. This is basically a woman-beater that wanted to beat women legally so he cut off his junk, got some implants, and got into MMA. He couldn't beat men in MMA so he competes with women now. So admirable.

I'm sorry, but you're 100% wrong. This isn't about equal rights, which I'm all for. There are clear biological divides when it comes to men and women. If it were up to you, we'd have women in the NFL getting horribly crushed and injured because they're apparently "equal". Men are capable of acquiring a lot more muscle mass and strength than women. Hormonal differences being the number one reason.

Fallon Fox has taunted Ronda Rousey for a fight, but stated that she doesn't fight men. And I agree with her position. This is not okay, I'm sorry.

17. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I didn't even bother reading the rest of this. HER, HER, HER! not HIS, it's HER.

I know you didn't write the article, so I'm not blasting you, but it's incredibly rude and derogatory to not use a person's preferred pronouns. It's a rejection of their identity. Imagine if your name was Greg but EVERYBODY called you John, and you hated the name John? It's like that but 10000x worse.

1) She*, She*, she*, her*, She*, she*

2) You don't just change your gender identity. This idea that men are transitioning to women to stare at them in locker rooms, or to have an excuse to beat them up is both entirely insulting and disgusting to think. When someone is transgendered they (arguably) experience gender dysphoria. Since I'm not transgendered it's not really my position to be saying how or when someone transitions, but it's definitely not because "they want to beat women". That's just so, so, SO rude to say.

18. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You're not going to read an article about this douche bag because people called her "him?"

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm not going to read an article that's incredibly biased towards shunning the idea of transsexualism.

And I did read the article.

20. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I don't think they're shunning transsexualism. I think it's just a mistake people make because it's happening a lot more in the media lately and the he/she thing takes some getting used to. I work at a school that's very open to this sort of thing and have to constantly remind myself to refer to certain students as she or her or he or him because they identity as another gender.

Sure, some people may use it in a derogatory sense, but more often than not, sometimes it's just forgetfulness and not ill intent.

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Fair enough.

I just get really touchy on the subject because A) I live in the US bible belt where B) I have many friends who are LGBT and identify differently and C) many people choose to use the incorrect terms on purpose.

So when I see people use he instead of she, or whatever the case, I just jump into crazy auto-correct mode, sorry!

22. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

This matter is a little more complex than gender dysphoria. The issue here is a person with male biology and musculature ... and clear biological advantages, especially in upper body strength ... fighting in women's MMA. I am all for and support 100% people's decisions, feelings, emotions, spirituality, mentality, whatever ... I support their freedom to be who they feel they are meant to be. But I do not support this ******** happening in women's division MMA right now. She has already had the chance to mature fully biologically into her 30s as a man. Whatever reason she chose to fight in women's division MMA doesn't take away from the fact that it shouldn't be happening. It has nothing to do with who she identifies as and has everything to do with the fact that she's biologically a man ... and is fighting women. She had surgery, but that doesn't suddenly make her biology female.

The problem here is a battle between the acceptance of transgender individuals and what constitutes fairness in the women's division of MMA. The first part is blinding everyone to the more important second part. Acceptance of everyone is obviously important, but that's not the issue here. Fallon Fox shouldn't be allowed to fight in women's MMA for obvious reasons, none of which have to with her gender identity.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You don't think women should have the opportunity to apply even if held to the same standards? The percentage of women with that level of strength is lower, but even in men it's not 100%. It's not 0% in women, so why wouldn't you want to leave them with the option to attempt it? There are some very strong women, but they don't put on as much bulk as men.

24. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Generally I think people should have the opportunity to apply for any job but whenever you set demographic goals or targets standards will tend to suffer. That can be explicitly by setting different requirements by gender/whatever or implicitly by fudging results. Much better to just treat people equally and let the chips fall where they may.

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Do they not weight match UFC fights like they do boxers?

tbh, if you fight either street scrapping, or for a hobby, broken eye sockets are a fact of life. I've seen more than enough punch ups and its not uncommon for people to end up being treated for broken eye sockets..... We were even talking about how common it was on sunday