Transgender brains more closely resemble brains of the sex they align with

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, Jun 5, 2018.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Well, there you have it. Science finally backs up what transgender people have been trying to explain to everyone. I posted this is another thread but it was kind of off topic so i figured this would be worthy of its own thread.

http://bigthink.com/mike-colagrossi...ign-with-rather-than-what-they-were-born-with

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180524112351.htm

Until we figure out how to restructure human brains to more closely resemble that of their biological sex, which likely won't happen anytime in the near future, if ever...transitioning is the only solution.

2. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

I think it's interesting how overwhelmingly the backlash against transgender people is focussed on MTF. Conservatives don't seem to complain that much or even talk about FTM. They'll happily force women into the men's bathroom to "protect women and children" all the while not even addressing the fact that they're sending transgender men into the women's bathroom.

And if any of the congressmen pushing for the bathroom restrictions were to see a big, buff man following their little girl into the restroom, they'd probably freak out, but, like, they're the ones pushing to make sure trans men have to use that bathroom, so..?

3. 0007776 Suspended

Hopefully research like this will lead to more effective treatment for the issue without having to resort to attempting to change the person's appearance to match what they are thinking they are.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Okay but which bathrooms should they use?

5. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

We know very little about the brain. If we haven’t managed to get a grip on things like Alzheimer’s, depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse, etc etc etc....what makes you think we’re going to find a “cure” for gender dysphoria anytime in the near future? CURRENTLY, the only solution to the problem is for the individual to physically transition so their body matches their brain. Agree or disagree?

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I think I am very frightened by the idea of brains being restructured.

It may start at with good intentions to help some people, but I can see as history has shown that science will be repurposed & perverted.

It could literally be the gift that gay conversion therapy believers have been waiting for.

Hopefully society can progress before such science comes to fruition and help such people.

And avoid :mad: crap like asking what bathroom they should use.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

8. Altis macrumors 68030

Since male and female brains are so different, can we stop expecting men and women to make the same life, career, and hobby choices? ;)

9. 0007776 Suspended

I would disagree that that is a solution as the suicide rates are still quite high even after people have had surgery.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I watched a man walk into a woman's restroom at a gas station last week. My immediate thought was to loudly say: "Hey, that's the woman's restroom, men's is over here!" to try and be helpful. But then I freaked out and wondered ... wait, what if they're going in there because they wanted to? So while I was thinking this, the guy walked in and I heard the women in the restroom freak out (didn't scream) - but then I heard the man apologized profusely over and over saying he was tired from travelling and was so sorry when he exited. Then I felt bad I didn't say something cuz I could have prevented it. I still feel bad about it now. :p

Agree. But like @mrkramer said above - not a perfect solution sadly. More study needed! Go science!

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hopefully architects will take the lead and just do individual toilets so that there is no sharing.

I'm glad to see the is medical evidence backs up the feelings of the transgendered.

I suspect the reason the suicide rate is high even after a transition has more to do with the way so much of society treats these people.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Here in California they just rip out urinals, change the men's restroom to All Gender, and leave the women's restroom alone. :/

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That works too. We waste too much time worrying about restrooms. When I lived in Taiwan many years ago, there was a restroom at the college. There were two doors, one labeled men, the other women. They both of to the same space and you were expected to not look and stay on your side.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't read the study but is this controlled for hormone therapy?

15. Altis macrumors 68030

Would have to do the same with showers, since that's probably a bigger issue that restrooms.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    It isn't really fair to go from Women and Men to Women and Anyone. :p

16. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Great news! hopefully they find a cure. Gender dysphoria feels horrible.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Showers? You must go to different theaters, stadiums, malls than I go to. At my school, we don't have showers in the student restrooms. Athletics is having is own issues with transgender students due to the use of hormones.

18. Altis macrumors 68030

What? There are shared spaces other than restrooms that are more of an issue for trans people.

Showers are common at schools, gyms, pools, etc.

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

But the left claims that men and women are exactly the same so how can the brain be different? Things that make you go hmmmm.

20. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Or you can actually address the topic in question. That would work too.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    But at least transitioning gives them a fighting chance. Forcing them to live as their biological sex and not what their brain is programmed would seem to make the suicide issue even worse.

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No. The left claims men and women should be getting equal pay for the same job. There's a difference between equality and being the same.

22. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Nope. That’s them in their natural state without any medical intervention.

23. 0007776 Suspended

Do you have any studies showing that it reduces the suicide rate?

24. Altis macrumors 68030

The "wage gap" is not that, though. It's an average of all full-time workers.

Oddly enough, the 'hours worked' gap is very close to the "wage gap" (ie. earnings gap). :p

25. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Do I really need to? Thats not the point. Do you have proof that it doesn’t? You have people who are suffering from a scienfically demonstrable condition where their brain doesn’t match their body. This inconsistency and the mental anguish it causes surely are a main contributing factor to the suicide rate, and the way our society treats these people (you included) would most likely play a role in the suicide rate as well. Would you honestly advocate forcing people to play a role and pretend to be the gender that their brain is telling them they aren’t? That would be an incredibly cruel thing to do, and there’s no reason to do so. Other than making some people feel less “uncomfortable”.