Transgender Man Says He's Pregnant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4526582
    I don't know, I just love the quote from neighbors...
    :rolleyes: It's always interesting to see someone whose personal reality has been "messed with". :p

~ CB

2. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Heh. I just saw this on another set of forums I visit.

But can you imagine how confused that kid will wind up?

"Mommy, why is it that Teacher said that babies only come out of mommies? Why did I come out of daddy? How come all the other kids laugh at me because I was in daddy's tummy and not yours?"

That might be dramatized a bit, of course, but it still asks a good question: was he thinking about the kid, or was he thinking about the shock factor? Just because he can get pregnant doesn't mean he should. For the kid's sake, at least.

3. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I think awareness is important (publicity on issues like this, for just this reason). My girlfriend (with whom I've gotten "serious" with in a relatively short time), was telling me one day how much of a shame it was that her favorite sister got her tubes tied, just in case we needed her help later to have a child. Then, here it is a week later and she's telling me that her other sister agreed to hold-off on doing the same until we're married sure we're okay on the fertility front.

There are a lot of issues with pregnancy. I'm sure the testosterone wasn't one they considered lightly, but I could see how it could balance out as the more "minor" of the factors. Honestly, people use surrogates more often than you think. Kids don't ask who they came out of as any kind of mind-altering question. No doubt assumptions will be made until they know the time is right to have that talk.

~ CB

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm not gonna say I don't believe him (her) but I want to throw this out there.

There have been cases in which women seriously believe that they are pregnant when they really aren't. In the case we talked about in Biology class, a woman truly believed that she was pregnant and she even started lactating and her stomach got really big as if she really was pregnant. She went to the hospital to have an ultrasound and the technicians told her that there was no baby. It turned out that she wasn't mentally all there and she made up this story that she was pregnant. It got so out of hand that her brain actually started physically changing her body to adapt to bring a baby into this world.

Creepy how much control our brain really has over our bodies. :eek:

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What a wild story. If this person was so bent on becoming a man why would he/she want to carry a baby? Why not his wife? Also since "he" still has female reproductive organs, aren't they just a couple lesbians?

A strange story to say the least.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So who got him/her pregnant? Oh never mind, to much post skimming. But still why get pregnant if you want to be a man, Is it to prove a point? Im tempted to call shenanigans.

7. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

If men COULD become pregnant, more men WOULD become pregnant. Just because this transgender individual COULD become pregnant doesn't mean it makes less sense, so much as it shows you what having options does for people. Really... surrogates are traumatic. If the "wife" was over 40, had a high power job with high blood pressure issues and the husband was 35 and healthy and worked at home, I'd say he would be a much better candidate... its not entirely inconceivable. Yuk, yuk. That's my infant joke there. :p

~ CB

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I seriously doubt that men WANT to become pregnant.

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

No one is saying its a cakewalk or anything, but some couples would certainly go through hell and back to have a child of their own and raise it on their own terms (and female infertility isn't exactly nonexistant around the world). I'd doubt but I've seen too much to think otherwise. Always... ALWAYS Stranger than fiction. Fiction only cleans it up a bit.

~ CB

Attached Files:

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

"Oh you people and your labels."

Seriously, what's so complicated about this story? Post-op transsexual opted to keep uterus, is now pregnant. Unusual, sure, but so what?

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If you'd read the article....

The wife had had a hysterectomy. No baby bearing for her.

As for labeling him, he's transgendered and the old labels simply don't apply.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Damn, when I read the title I thought "Now's as good a time as any to bust out the old

"He can't have babies, he doesn't have a womb! Where's the foetus going to gestate? In a cardboard box?"

quote" but then I read the rest of the story and all the wind was taken out of my sails.

Blah blah blah interesting issue blah blah blah same stuff everyone else has said.

13. Queso macrumors G4

The baby will have a mum and a dad, and never has to know any of the particulars until adulthood if at all. Where's the issue?

14. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

That's certainly how I see it, too.

~ CB

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Wait, this "man" has the female sex organ. The he/she has a partner (female) and somehow gets pregnant? What am I missing? How do two female sex organs make a baby?

EDIT: Never mind. Skipped over the "artificial insemination" part.