Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple's Maps team is working hard to expand transit directions to additional locations. Starting this morning, transit information in the United Kingdom has expanded to encompass the National Rail, which represents several public transportation systems across Great Britain.

In the United States, transit directions are now available in Atlanta and Miami. In Atlanta, Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) routes are available, and in Miami, directions are now able to encompass Metrobus, Metrorail, and Metromover routes.

miamitransit-800x450.jpg

Apple also appears to have expanded transit directions in California to encompass Santa Cruz, Monterey, Salinas, and other surrounding areas.

When transit directions launched in 2015 as part of iOS 9, they were only available in a handful of cities, but Apple has now expanded availability to more than 20 locations around the world.

Apple's iOS 9 Feature Availability page has not yet been updated all of the new locations, but the information should be added in the near future. Aside from today's additions, Transit directions are available in Austin, Texas; Baltimore, Maryland; Berlin, Germany; Boston, Massachusetts; Chicago, Illinois; London, England; Los Angeles, California; Mexico City, Mexico; Montreal and Toronto, Canada; New York City, New York; Philadelphia Pennsylvania; Portland, Oregon; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Sacramento, California; San Francisco, California, Seattle, Washington; Sydney, Australia; Washington, DC, and dozens of cities in China.

Article Link: Transit Directions Expand to UK National Rail, Atlanta and Miami

Reactions: Rafagon

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Yay, Miami!!

This will come in handy for me sometimes!
[doublepost=1465504886][/doublepost]Hey, I got the first comment! Aren’t I supposed to brag about it or something? Like yell, “First!” or what-not?

bcc2k

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
So weird that Maps used to have transit for Vienna in iOS 4 or something.
Oh and Google Maps has no (real) transit here either :(

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Wow, this rollout is so slow they're going to be able to launch it again this year.

ggt

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
UK
Strangely it doesn't look like the whole of the U.K. is covered, looks like just the south of England and Wales.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Wowwwww from a handful to four handfuls. Amazingggggg

I resigned a long time ago w the maps app and basically use google maps 90% of the time. Apple should actually spend money to fix the actual maps instead of adding stuff for a handful of cities. Looks cute in their presentation but real life it doesn't matter to most people that don't live on those cities.

Don't worry Apple fans I'm sure Apple is ready to bring us another sub based new app that can't be erased as well.

#dissapointedappleconsumer

Reactions: CreatorCode

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Google Maps has transit directions for everywhere in the UK not just London and has had for years.

This just shows how little development effort Apple are putting into their services.

MacLoverUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
London
Google Maps has transit directions virtually everywhere.

After four years, Apple has a handful of major cities. It's almost like a joke, I can't understand it.

Is Eddy Cue, by any chance, in charge of this?

Google Maps was started 11 years ago which means they have a 7 year head start on Apple Maps - maybe THAT you can understand.
[doublepost=1465518934][/doublepost]
Google Maps has transit directions for everywhere in the UK not just London and has had for years.

This just shows how little development effort Apple are putting into their services.

Google Maps was released in Feb 2005 - Apple Maps in September 2012 - that's a 7 year head start - 7 years to add all the roads, rivers, railways and bus routes before Apple even got into Maps.

And remember why Apple got into the Map business in the first place - because Google refused to give the Apple version of their Maps App feature parity with the Android version, that is until Apple dumped them in favour of their own Maps App.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Google Maps was started 11 years ago which means they have a 7 year head start on Apple Maps - maybe THAT you can understand.
[doublepost=1465518934][/doublepost]

Google Maps was released in Feb 2005 - Apple Maps in September 2012 - that's a 7 year head start - 7 years to add all the roads, rivers, railways and bus routes before Apple even got into Maps.

And remember why Apple got into the Map business in the first place - because Google refused to give the Apple version of their Maps App feature parity with the Android version, that is until Apple dumped them in favour of their own Maps App.

Google didn't take this long to add a small handful of major cities. Like I said, it's a joke. They are doing it wrong--they should be plugging into existing transit info for most cities. Instead, they're taking their sweet time to do each city in their proprietary, finicky way. They need to quickly upload the basic info FIRST, then go back and do the fancy stuff. Like I said, most transit authorities in the developed world already have their schedules readily available and updated daily.

Reactions: CreatorCode

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

After four years, Apple has a handful of major cities. It's almost like a joke, I can't understand it.

Google maps didn't get the way it is overnight. They had a lot of years head start. In fact Google withheld turn by turn navigation from iOS users for years while compiling mounds of crowd sourced corrections from said iOS users. We Apple users, helped Google Maps get so good.

I remember the days when Google Maps took a back seat to mapquest.

tumtumtum

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012

I can't believe that Scott was ordered to apologise for Maps and Eddy's been given a free pass for the expensive mistake that was Beats and Apple Music.

DingeZ

macrumors member
May 3, 2016
Amsterdam

Yes, Google has transit directions in a lot of places, but it's not really good. Mostly you are better off using a dedicated app, as Google sometimes gives very strange directions. Secondly, the map part of transit in Google Maps is only available in a few cities (seems to be less than Apple Maps) and nowhere near as good as Apple's.

spellnight

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2015
Did anyone ever used Citymapper (citymapper.com) - Is the best app ever created for big cities! I wish Apple just bought them!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Atlanta has public transport? ;)

(Joking aside, this is good. It'll inform people of options they maybe didn't know about)

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Sad how MacRumors thinks that National RAIL incompasses more than one form of transport. Do a little research. It is used for rail transport, 1 system.

Also doesn't help when the app can't find the biggest county in a country.

Yet another half arsed pile of crap to join a half alsed pile of an app.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Lol. Apple should add dozens of cities around the world each day. Holy cow. How many people are in the Maps Team? Two??

Reactions: G4DPII
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.