Transition from Verizon to T-Mobile questions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Droidrage729, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

So this week i ordered a tmo i5 for my wife and a sim for my verizon 64 gb i5. Tmobile has confirmed my phone will work on their network. My question is doesnt it need to be unlocked by verizon first? Like the final bill needs to be paid correct? Also will i be able to keep my number? Alot of people are switching now any info would help thank you.

2. Tallguy93 macrumors member

Your Verizon iPhone 5 will work on T-Mobile but most probably on EDGE. The new 3G is very spotty all around america (even here in houston where it was launched months ago). To get the full 4G experience, you would have to order the T-Mobile version for yourself as well. You'll see what I mean when your wifes phone arrives. Your best bet is to sell your verizon iPhone and buy a new T-Mobile one.

Assuming you still want to stick with your verizon iPhone 5, you will NOT have to worry about unlocking as the verizon model comes unlocked from the factory. You will be able to keep your number as long as you call T-Mobile and port the number over from verizon.

3. Droidrage729 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait so i wont get 4g coverage. The tmobile customer service lady said i would. Lol edge seriously. She said i would have 0 issues.what good is a smart phone on edge thats like a ferrari with a corolla motor.

4. Akack macrumors 6502a

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/taki...urrent-iphone-5-and-how-it-works-on-t-mobile/

I live in an area supposedly refarmed 3G 1900 band but it's very spotty and unreliable. If you live in an area that has been refarmed your Verizon iPhone 5 can theoretically access that band but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best bet is to sell your Verizon and get the tweaked T Mobile iPhone 5 so you can access the HSPA+ on 1700 band.

5. Droidrage729 thread starter macrumors 6502

That kinda blows. I guess i will see what kind of coverage i get with it. At this point i dont want another i5. I was hoping to switch to the tmo version once the 5s was out.

6. Tallguy93 macrumors member

Yeah it sucks :-/ FYI : Take everything a T-Mobile CSR says with a grain of salt. The only way to get answers is tospeak with loyalty. Even if I have a billing issue, I tell that robot on the tmobile number that I want to close my account and she transfers me to loyalty lol. Its the only way to get real information.

7. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

TMobile considers their 1900mhz refarmed HSPA to be 4G so that's probably why she told you that.

She obviously didn't give you all of the caveats.

8. Droidrage729 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback. Also is it worth restoring it my phone or is it ok just to swap sims.

9. Tallguy93 macrumors member

Swapping sims should do the trick. No need to restore. You may have to enter T-Mobile data settings manually though. Here is a guideline for that

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-2383

10. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I had a TMo sim in mine for a month... it works,but sucks... edge all around here in chicago with tremendous speed.... be aware!

11. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

which iPhone you had? if it is verizon iPhone 5, they do not work on LTE on t-mobile and ATT, that is the reason they have it unlocked (besides FCC requirement to release 700c Mhz spectrum)

12. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

13. CEmajr macrumors 601

There's a Tmobile carrier update for the iPhone now. No more need to do it manually.

14. Tallguy93 macrumors member

AFAIK the T-Mobile carrier update will only be pushed to factory unlocked or ATT unlocked iPhones

15. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

so you will get LTE on t-mobile even if the market has it. vice versa also ATT/T-Mobile iPhone 5 Will not get LTE on verizon/Sprint because of the band it supports.

May be iPhone 5S or 6 another world phone for LTE

16. Droidrage729 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I will get edge for data all the time? That's pointless. I may go with straight talk. That's a bit ridiculous. I need to save money and willing to compromise but edge all the time is too slow. I can live with 3G .