Transitioning from 2013 15" MBP to 2018 15" MBP - Monitors OR; Learning to Love the Dongle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WinstonRumfoord, Jun 3, 2019.

1. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

Just picked up a refurb 2018 15" MBP to replace my aging 2013 15" MBP. I'm wondering for any input on how others went about transitioning, given the big change in ports and connectivity options.

My use-case is somewhat unique, though not unheard of I hope. I work 1/2 from my home office and 1/2 from our company office.

Home office: Dell P2715Q + Apple Thunderbolt Display with MBP in clamshell. WD Thunderbolt 2 8TB array.
    Work Office: Dell P2715Q + MBP open next to it. WD USB 3 6TB Array.

I am a bit flummoxed over how to best move forward. Did you guys replace your monitors with USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ones? I would love to be able to just plug in one cable at each office, but I am having a tough time visualizing how that could happen without buying the $400 docks?

For the time being I am planning on getting a couple USB-C -> Displayport cables so I can use my main external monitors, at least until I determine a path forward.

Any ideas?

2. jerryk, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019

jerryk macrumors 601

The cable sound like a good idea. Unless you need the higher resolution your existing monitors should work fine.

I use Dell U2715s with my MacBook and a USB-C to display port cable, or a USB-C adapters with USB A, SD cards, ethernet, and HDMI. I think I pad $20 for a cable and $40 or so for the adapter.

3. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

Buying a new monitor is tempting when you look at the minor benefits (such as having a single cable for everything) but I couldn't justify the price. I passed on the TB3 monitors and spent my money on other stuff I wanted to pick up considering my two monitors were in perfect working order and provided a resolution that's more than acceptable for my line of work. By doing so, I was able to basically save ballpark $700 - and to me, $700 wasn't worth saving 5 seconds of time to plug in 2 or 3 more cables.

4. WinstonRumfoord thread starter macrumors 6502

My wallet thanks you for talking me off the edge of replacing all my monitors.