Transmit 4 — WOW!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by elppa, Apr 27, 2010.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Transmit 4 — Jaw on the floor!

This is the future of Mac software.

Absolutely awesome. UI beautiful. Animations beautiful and helpful. Performance fantastic.

Absolutely love it. Apple should be taking notes (really, there's some nice UI paradigms that we haven't seen before on Mac OS X, or any platform for that matter).

Check out the transitions in icon view!

I love how they've written “that's the plan” in the description of the sync.

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Yeh, Panic's UI Devs are pretty cool. I'm not a Transmit user, but I know many many people who are and are all very happy with it.

3. reubs macrumors 68000

The hype around Transmit 4 makes me want to find a use for it, even though I'm not a web developer and don't use cloud sync for much of anything. Panic's a great software company; glad they're innovating on Transmit and other things. I've got Candybar, and I'm not sure there's much else they can do with that at this point; I could be wrong, though.

4. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Nice

I use Transmit on a daily basis, but this is the first I've actually seen of v4. Wow... as others said, very impressive UI and the speed boosts they're claiming are out of this world. I'll definitely be giving this a shot early next week when I have some downtime.

Panic seems to really "get" Mac software. It's a shame they can't make more of it!

5. splitpea macrumors 6502a

How's the UI performance? I don't need fancy animations if it's some bog-slow Adobe AIR crap.

On the other hand, the new feature set looks VERY nice. Bandwidth limiting, remote file unzipping, etc should be handy.

6. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Hot knife through warn butter — because it's all done the “proper” way (using Cocoa Frameworks and Core Animation).

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Even the bloody feature demonstration on the site is freaking amazing.

I'd buy it just because they did such a nice job making it all look awesome.

8. kepner macrumors 6502

Yep. This is the release of Transmit I've been waiting for. I'm switching from Interarchy.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

how does this compare to the free filezilla in terms of being a ftp client?

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That is probably the best UI I've seen in Mac Software ever. My days with Cyberduck may be numbered.

12. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Looks nice ... might give it a go. Have been using cyberduck up till now :)

13. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Transmit 4 kept my old favorites just fine.

I'm not a heavy FTP user anymore, but I do still have to use it from time to time. I doubt I'll use even a fraction of the new awesomeness of Transmit 4, but I do think I'll get a lot of use out of the Transmit Disk feature. That one alone could prove incredibly useful to a lot of people out there.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The sync feature alone is pretty cool and very handy.

15. kepner macrumors 6502

Shame they won't be winning an Apple Design Award for it this year, huh?

16. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

I think that's a huge kick in the teeth and a real big shame.

17. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Not so much a kick in the teeth there still going to continue to sell copies of this application to the people that need/want it.
    And Apple design award would be a little added extra.

18. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Not necessarily referring to Panic cause they wouldn't necessarily win it. There's a lot of very good Mac software that just flies under the radar.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have too.

I bought Transmit 4 two days ago and have been running into permissions problems and sync problems. It keeps telling me that a file has been moved or is missing when it has not.

My email to Panic remains unanswered.

Until this gets resolved, I'll stick with the Duck.

20. neven macrumors 6502a

citizenzen:

Sorry to hear you've been having issues! Just wanted to say we'll do our best to get to your email this week; as you can imagine, our inboxes tend to fill up quickly after a major release.

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

This definitely looks pretty awesome.

I use Coda already. I love Panic's software.

22. calb macrumors 6502

I've been using Flow since it was put in the latest MacHeist nanoBundle, and I thought that was pretty...

Transmit 4 is stunning.

23. memco macrumors 6502

Getting an error everytime I try to enable the disk menu item. I was really looking to switch to Forklift, but I don't think I'll need to anymore. The only thing that is nice about Forklift that Transmit doesn't have is batch rename. However, there's Renamer4Mac which can handle that for me. Will be playing around with this, and will probably upgrade.

24. mtreasure macrumors newbie

Transmit Upload Order - seems random now

Has anyone else noticed that the upload order for folders is now completely random, whereas the previous version was alphabetical (logical). I think that this is a step backwards. If you are uploading a large number of folders, it is impossible to tell how far you've got. Please email them if you agree. They say that they need several people to raise this as an issue before they will look at it... email to: transmit "at" panic.com

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What I've noticed is my problems still persist and after more than a week my email remains unanswered.

There's a lot more to running a software company than merely making it look pretty.

Panic seems to have forgotten that.

Right now I paid for a bright, shiny piece of software that isn't getting used in favor of Cyberduck that I can use for free.

Well played Transmit... well played. :mad: