Trash keeps getting a file called "eodx÷¢su.?j½"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by imcoolurnot314, Jun 24, 2008.

1. imcoolurnot314 macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.5 on a macbook.

A file called "êõdx÷¢šû.?j½" keeps appearing in my trash bin. When I delete it the file will reappear in a few seconds. It is Zero KB in size. It says it was created in 1903. Opening, looking at file info, or moving it will not work.

Is this a virus or some kind of system glitch?

2. SvladCjelli macrumors newbie

BootCamp...

I had the same problem, though different names.

Turned out to be caused by VM Ware starting on the BootCamp partition (and my cancelling it before it completed whatever driver install it wanted to make)

I fixed it by removing, and recreating the BootCamp partition...

It may be possible to fix by running ScanDisk inside boot camp.

Hope it helps,

3. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope that's probably not it. I have a boot camp partition, but I haven't run Windows in weeks.

Thanks, though.

4. SvladCjelli macrumors newbie

If you have a Bootcamp, just fire it up and run a scandisk, empty trash etc...

Shouldn't take long.

The symptoms you are describing are exactly what I saw, the other thing is to check your disk with the DiskUtility... though this didn't help in my case.

5. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

All I did was open Disk Utility and it fixed it.

6. SvladCjelli macrumors newbie

Great, good to hear it's sorted.

7. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's back. So, I guess it's something else that was causing it. It makes me worry that something is wrong with my mac.

8. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Since SvladCjelli said that VMware was the problem, could it be that you have the Boot Camp partition in suspended mode within VMware?

9. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

My bad. You may want to try running scandisk in Boot Camp as SvladCjelli said before.

Also, did just opening up Disk Utility help remove the file? Or did you run something like repairing permissions? Just seems odd that opening it would help.

11. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I just opened the disk utility and then closed it after the file went away.

EDIT: I just tried repairing permissions and it doesn't help.

EDIT #2: I ran scandisk and it didn't help.

12. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just noticed that the file type is "Alias". Don't know if that helps anyone know the problem, but it could.

13. SvladCjelli macrumors newbie

I am still certain that the problem lies with the BootCamp partition.

If you have any application that might try to access it (VM Ware, Parallels...) or have done something to it inadvertantly....

I don't know what you have on your BootCamp... if like me it's just a Windows install to see how it works, and a couple of old games, I would really suggest just wiping it out... for me this worked.

There are quite a few threads on trash problems on here, and on Apple Discusssions... I had to look through these first before I came to my solution.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

lucky. i wish my computer would put my "êõdx÷¢šû.?j½" files in the trash. :(

15. SvladCjelli macrumors newbie

Another thought, if it is an alias... any removable / external drives that aren't connected or powered on any more?

Could be the trash remembers something it shouldn't.

You can try a secure emtpy (right mouse on the trash can, or from the finder)

16. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... when I try the Secure Delete it says it has 8 items to delete. It operates like it normally would (with the progress bar and such), but the file is still there. Tried it a second time and still nothing.

I only use one external drive and it's plugged in right now.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What happens when you eject the external, boot the system down, boot back up? Do not re-connect the external. Leave it off and unplugged.

Also under the boot camp partition did you eject from the boot camp? Where you writing to the external when boot camp was running?

18. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing changes when I eject it and reboot.

I don't use this drive in Bootcamp since I formatted as HFS+.

19. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I had this same type of files appearing all over my preference folder, but once I updated to 10.5.3 they never came back. Difference was that I had to manually trash them. I contacted Apple and they said they where harmless temporary files created by the system and/or other running software.

I like to keep my trash can clean and empty, so I feel for you because it must be annoying to have them there ever present.

I know this doesn't help you get rid of them, but at least rest assure they are harmless...FWIW.

20. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I was worried at first, but it's annoying to not know if my trash needs to be emptied.

21. imcoolurnot314 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran a scan and there was a corrupted trash file in windows that was somehow in my Mac trash bin. Doesn't make sense to me, but I think it's fixed.