Travel ban is popular?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Feb 9, 2017.

1. kobalap macrumors 6502

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Different polls seem fairly consistent for 53% or more being pro-ban. After all, Sharia law is 180 degrees out from the US Constitution.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Oh man here's the old 'they're going to force Sharia law into the US!' argument again :rolleyes:

P.S. Don't mean to pick on you 'rat but today we seem to be crossing paths a lot.

4. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

According to Trumpeteers, all polls are fake.

5. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, Trump himself does make the distinction between polls that favor him (not fake!) and polls that don't favor him (fake!).

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't think you know what that means....the fact that you're referring to it in a monolithic way confirms it.

Tell me, do you have a problem with the Jewish community using rabbinical courts to settle disputes between two members of the faith without involving the justice system?

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

Yes...

If you are in the USA, you should be using our justice system. That being said, I am not one ranting that Sharia law is coming to the USA, but if it did, it should not be allowed.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

"The Morning Consult poll only surveyed people selected from an opt-in panel, meaning only those who've signed up to take surveys can participate. Opt-in sampling is less representative than other sampling techniques"
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/9/14558290/trump-polls-twitter-media-fake-news

Also, ironically, that same Morning Consult poll shows Trump's approval rating is dropping.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    What?!?! What about alternative dispute resolution, or mediation?

Your justice system should only be used when absolutely necessary - it's expensive and inefficient.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So you'd like to see the orthodox jewish community going to the police to settle personal slights instead of seeking their religious guidance from their "courts"?

As with everything related to Islam, here the USA (and much of Europe) there term "Sharia Law" has been grossly distorted to meaning what an extreme subset of fundamentalists in oppressive lands practice....

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

If it is a violation of the normal laws within the USA, yes. No other "courts" should exist in my opinion.

Sharia law has been distorted but it is still pretty violent and not part of our cultural norm thus has no place in our culture. You do realize that ISIL wants to bring back things like beheadings etc... Are you willing to open that door?

Also, would you be okay with our churches starting their own courts? The rules should be the same for all groups to keep things fair and level and allow a population to coexist without crossing some weird social boundary.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This I disagree with you on. Just like the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Jewish community has been keeping child abuse, sex crimes, and domestic violence in the dark. I used to be a cable guy in Brooklyn for several years, the stories I've heard from police and Jewish alike in those communities are an eye opener. And most victims, witnesses and family are basically religiously blackmailed into keeping their mouth shut and lying to police. This is exactly how Sharia works too.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep that's the loophole sharia tribunals use in the US. They pretend to be a mediation, and apply de facto a weakened, much less stringent, version of sharia.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....I was not referring to cases of actual crimes. These "courts" are often used to settle spats between members of their respective communities. If they ARE being used to mask crimes obviously that completely unacceptable. I'm just trying to clarify here.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's a not a loophole. Most judges encourage mediation because it's far more efficient than full-blown litigation.

In mediation, you can make your own rules, provided both sides agree to the rules. If you and I are in mediation for a dispute, we can agree to apply the Game of Thrones rules of court if we want. As long as we both agreed to abide by those rules, it's legal and in many cases the outcome of the mediation will be enforceable in a real court.

So if two people agree to mediate according to sharia law, fine, go for it. What do we care? If two people agree to mediate according to old talmudic rules, go for it. If two people agree to mediate according to coin-flip, go for it.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It's a loophole. They apply sharia law, without giving the woman any right (for example) except a "lawyer" appointed by the Imam in accordance to the husband.
    It's sharia law, and you are confirming that sharia law has come to the US.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

But how do you regulate it? Obviously you can't, so they shouldn't exist.

17. MaulRx Suspended

The Nazi Party was popular too at one point. Didn't make it right.

18. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

If it's against the woman's will, it's not legal. Period.

If the two people in dispute agree, fully-informed and not coerced consent, to settle their dispute with a game of chess, this does not mean that chess is taking over the US.

Yes, some ultra-conservative religions use religious courts under the guise of mediation to settle disputes between their members, but the real bad ones do it illegally through coercion (force, violence, intimidation, threat of humiliation, threat of exile, etc.). To be clear, just because they are calling it meditation, it is not mediation if the parties are not willing participants. If they go to an article-III court and try to enforce that mediation, and it is discovered the woman was not given any right as you say, it will not be recognized as a valid mediation.

Look at the contra argument. Everyone already agrees most folks in the US at too litigious. Why are you so in favor of getting rid of something that promotes out of court dispute resolution, where getting rid of it would encourage even more stupid litigation?

19. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

And Catholicism, and Quiverfull, and and and...

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

So was Hillary according to the votes.
    So which is which?!?!?!?!
    o_O

21. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

The Muslim ban does not appear to be popular and according to legal expert it is likely illegal. Courts have stayed the ban and hearings are now in progress. I have already posted about the merits of this ban and how it hurts our country.

It's immoral. It's wrong and likely illegal. It does not represent who we are as people.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Why would it be illegal? It's not the first time that immigration/travel from a country is halted for a period of time.

23. MaulRx Suspended

what?

Aside: I thought your guy won the popular vote if not for all those dirty illegals haha

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Religion doesn't belong anywhere near justice.

25. MaulRx Suspended

If only a group of ragtag revolutionaries fought a war against an oppressive monarchy to that end...