Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Obviously the international plans for AT&T that include Canada are still outrageous, so what is the best way for someone like me with an iPhone 4 to be able to go up to Canada for 2 weeks and still be able to use it?

I did some research and it seems Rogers only has micro SIM cards available for iPad users? Is this true? But Rogers seems to have pay as you go SIM cards available, so is my best option to take a regular SIM and cut it down to micro SIM size and just use that, or is there a more easier/practical way to go about this?

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Rogers has regular micro-sim for the iPhone 4. In terms of what plan to get, all of the carriers have pay as you go, but i don't think you can get data for pay as you go. The best option is to use wifi and have a pay as you go phone.

The only other option is to get a month to month with a data plan but you have to pay activation fees and they might need a credit check. I think that option will end up being a little expensive as you also have to give a 30 day cancellation notice or they charge you for the next month.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Oh, so carriers do have pay as you go iPhone 4 micro SIMs then? Fantastic, that makes it easy. Yes, I'll simply use that and wi-fi then, for 2 weeks the hassle and expense for 3G wouldn't be worth it if it requires committing to anything like a monthly plan or higher.

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
Along the same note, I live in Canada, still waiting for my 4 but going to Hawaii in a month, for about 7 days, I will have a Rogers iPhone 4 but want to have access to a phone, took my 3GS to san Diego last year without a plan, and data turned off. I care more about data though, what should I do? Does Hawaii have 3G networks on the main island?

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
isnt iphone 4 locked to at&t? how would it work on prepaid rogers sim? or any other carrier?
I was thinking the same thing too, your iPhone is locked to AT&T unfortunately.
Along the same note, I live in Canada, still waiting for my 4 but going to Hawaii in a month, for about 7 days, I will have a Rogers iPhone 4 but want to have access to a phone, took my 3GS to san Diego last year without a plan, and data turned off. I care more about data though, what should I do? Does Hawaii have 3G networks on the main island?
If you're referring to the big island of Oahu, yes they do have 3G there (even public wifi at some places)

Kawjumper201

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I just got back from canada about 3 weeks ago and I just bought the 50 text plan cause the data and voice plans were outragous. A lot of the hotels up there had free wifi so when I just got back to the hotel i would just shoot out a bunch of emails etc. And ya I dont see you getting a rogers sim to work in your att phone unless you jailbroke it then possibly theres a way.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
When I goto Canada, I just upgrade to the cheapest international data plan and cancel when I get back to the US if I don't feel like trying to find free hot spots. I don't talk much, so I just deal with the minute by minute rate.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
The AT&T carrier lock is a non-issue, I'm willing to do what it takes to be able to freely use my phone outside US boundaries. Thanks for the help guys, I'll simply get a iPhone 4 SIM and a pre-paid plan, probably without data since it seems like all of those are fairly expensive.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
The AT&T carrier lock is a non-issue, I'm willing to do what it takes to be able to freely use my phone outside US boundaries. Thanks for the help guys, I'll simply get a iPhone 4 SIM and a pre-paid plan, probably without data since it seems like all of those are fairly expensive.

Report back if it works. I usually goto Canada every year and I would like to see if the pre-paid plan would be cost effective for me.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Canada plans

When I goto Canada, I just upgrade to the cheapest international data plan and cancel when I get back to the US if I don't feel like trying to find free hot spots. I don't talk much, so I just deal with the minute by minute rate.

AT&T bills you pro rata for the number of days the plans are on your account until the day you cancel them. Let's say you put the voice plan on $4.99 and the lowest data plan $24.95. While you're away, keep track of your data usage. If you come back after two weeks, check the data usage as reflected on AT&T's site. If you think all the days you were there have been billed already, cancel the plans. You'll get refunded (say 15 days) worth. And so long as your data doesn't go over the amount allowed on the data package, you pay nothing additional. Calls you will - but at a lower rate than without the plan.

I always add the AT&T plans when I go up there for several reasons:

- I have not found WIFI in the hotels all that speedy

- Second reason is how well those two networks work commpared with ATT - calls are crystal clear, data downloads are fast

- Lastly - I think the hassle of buying a Telus or Rogers micro Sim card is not worth it. I am pretty sure you'll pay more than the cost of the card - the plans up there aren't cheap​

[/LIST]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.