Traveling in Just a Few Hours. What to take? MacBook Air or iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

In the past, I've always taken my MacBook Air, but now that I have an iPad Mini I'm tempted to travel lighter and take that instead. Only problem is I also have a DSLR and a GoPro. Not sure how fast my two 32 GB SD cards will fill up. I could always buy another card while I'm away though. Obviously, the MBA offers the richer, larger experience, but I probably wouldn't be editing and processing my images until I returned and had more time to focus on that specifically. I'm traveling with the Lowepro Video Fastpack 150 AW, and it's a little smaller than I'd like so space is very important. My MBA can fit, but it's a snug fit, especially with the iPad Mini. Thoughts?

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How long are you going for? What will you be doing? This info could help us make a more informed decision.

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

the iPad mini is so small ... couldn't you take them both. I'm sure 0.75 pounds wouldn't matter.

if not ... i would recommend the mini if it has LTE. If the mini doesn't have LTE then I would take the macbook.

5. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I will be in Alaska for one week, and I will be mostly hiking each day.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

If you are packing it when you hike probably the Mini. But your cards will fill up pretty fast, especially with HD video.

7. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Ended up just taking my Mini. Thanks guys. Hope it works out.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck, and report back on your experiences.

I prefer taking my MBP for a variety of reasons

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, the OP has made his decision, and given his own answer to his dilemma, and good luck to him.

However, on such a matter, I would have responded that it depends on what you wish to do with it, in essence, whether you wish to read (take the iPad) or write (in which case, I'd recommend the MBA).

12. r i c h macrumors member

Considering the OP is taking a DSLR and a GoPro and probably doesn't have an unlimited number of SD cards he'll need a computer at some point. However, considering his final reply it appears as though he believes he has enough SD cards and storage on the iPad Mini.

13. Dick Whitman, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I thought I had enough storage but I didn't. The first 32 GB card quickly filled up and I had to share the remaining 32 GB card between my Go Pro and DSLR. Not exactly ideal. I have a 250 GB external hard drive but of course that wasn't with me (I think I will eventually invest in a larger external). If I had taken another SD card, and one that was larger in size, I probably would have been fine, but in hind sight, I wish I would have taken my MBA so that I could have uploaded photos from my SD cards and began editing them. Plus with all the down time in airports, having the MBA would have been better. Initially, I hesitated bringing my MBA because it fit so tightly in the backpack I was using.

I definitely plan on selling my MBA sometime this fall and getting either the rumored 12" MBA with retina display or just the current rMBP.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't external HDs only work if you bring them with you? ;)

15. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Lol yep. Also, I dropped my camera in the snow while dog sledding, which really freaked me out at the time (I should have left it at the base camp), but everything seems to work fine. I still want to maybe have a camera shop take a look at it and make sure there isn't any lingering water damage. Tomorrow I'll make another thread about everything I learned while shooting with my first DSLR and things I want to work on and improve (namely exposing properly when shooting snow). Too jet-lagged to think right now. Been up for 48 hours straight.