Traveling to Boston. Help me with my travel plans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brendanryder, May 29, 2008.

1. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

ok so my mother and i are going to Boston august 12-16 to watch some Red Sox games. were not 100% sure on where we are going to stay at this point but we have an idea. but i wanted some opinions on what other people like. so if you live in Boston or have been to Boston where did you stay? did you like it? would you recommend it?
    We plan on going to a game every night but i cant spend all 4 days at the new apple store :D what are some places that you would recommend we visit and whats so great about them? were only there for 4 days but want to see a lot.

Thanks guys.:p

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Firstly, do you already have tickets to the games? If not, then good luck, the sox have sold out pretty much every game for the past 3 years. I guess you can scalp them or get them through a broker but be prepared to pay over the odds.

As for things to do. Walk the freedom trail, go to the museum of science, take a duck tour on the river charles.

3. fotografica macrumors 68040

Sox tickets may be tough to get.Depending on how much you want to pay, nothing is ever sold out...Also check Craigslist as those dates approach. People are always selling the day of the game or day before..
    Waterfront/Back Bay/Seaport District are all good places to stay as they put you withing walking distance or a short ride on the MBTA from everything in the city..
    For things to do..Not knowing what you're interests are,I'll offer up a list:
    The Museum of Fine Arts
    The ICA
    The Science Museum
    The North End (Boston's Little Italy)
    The Constitution
    Newbury St (fun to people watch and window shop)
    Waterfront Park
    Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market
    Holocaust Memorial
    Check out Restaurant Week in Boston..Great way to eat some expensive places for short money
    http://http://www.bostonusa.com/rw08/index.html
    That's a start..If you have a specific area of interest,post it and you'll get more specific answers..
    There will be a lot of outdoor activities,cafes,restaraunts etc.....

4. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

all the summer games are "sold out" online. thats where www.stubhub.com comes in. i know ill have to pay more but o well it will be worth it.:D
    ok so duck tour freedom trail and museum of science. Thanks

Newbury street, and the fine art museum sound sweet. i'll put those on my list

ok so a little more specific.
    not incredibly keen on museum. probably more on the activities, restaurants, shops(no clothes shops tho), baseball stuff/ tech stuff and things that are unique to boston.
    and ill make sure to bookmark the website.

Thanks for your help

5. fotografica macrumors 68040

For shops,check out Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market,Back Bay,South End..LOTS of neat little local shops and stores..
    You can always do a whale watch boat tour..That's fun on a hot summer day
    Don't know if you're into it,but Sam Adams and Harpoon both have brewery tours..And samplings..
    The MIT Musuem is good if you're into techie things
    Boston Harbor cruise is also a lot of fun
    Swan Boats on the Public Gardens,and the Public Gardens/Boston Common...
    For something really local and Boston:
    http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/codzilla_main.html
    Lots to do in Boston..Whatever you do,don't say "Beantown" when you're here.. That's a DEAD GIVE AWAY that someone's a tourist or not from here :p

6. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

oo all those shops have been put on my list. a whale tour sounds fun, dont know if my mom will like it she gets sea sick. haha. i will tell my mom about the sam adams thing cus she would probably enjoy that. MIT museam would be a deffinate yes haha. and i will make sure not to say "beantown" lol . do people actually say that?
    thanks for your help

7. fotografica macrumors 68040

Only the tourists and non natives..That's how we can tell :p

8. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

really? thats so weird. i have never heard that before.

9. fotografica macrumors 68040

very true..go to any local shop/restaraunt and say it..You'll get the look....

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It actually just passed 5 years :p The sellout streak started on May 15, 2003. It's currently at 414 games (if I calculated right :p).

11. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

omg. thats crazy! but thats what stubhub is good for. i wonder how long the wait is for people wanting to buy season tickets

12. fotografica macrumors 68040

You can walk down Yawkey Way or Landsdown St. a couple hours before a game and there's always somebody selling their tix..Just make sure it's not an undercover cop :p You can also take a shot and go to the ticket office at the park and whatever tix are left,they release the day of the game..

13. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

ya but the last thing i want to do is get arrested in boston haha.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah they always save some tickets for day of game sales.. you gotta get in line at the box office early if you want them though.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Nice thread- I'm going to be in Boston for a few nights this summer as well, so all advice is doubly welcome :)

16. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Will you have a car? If so, and you're looking to maximize your hotel for least $$$, look at hotels in the suburbs: Waltham, Woburn, Braintree, etc. The hotels will be cheaper than in the city itself and you're only a 15 minute drive from wherever you want to go. (Or a t-stop where you can park for the day, another great option.)

If you're there during the week, go to Zaftigs in Coolidge Corner. Technically that's Brookline, which is a separate town in/next to Boston, but the Green Line runs through there. If you go on a weekend for breakfast be prepared to wait a long time, but during the week it's not as bad. All meals are great there but their breakfasts are fantastic.

Agreed with others who suggested the freedom trail, and if you have the time check out the holocaust memorial near quincy market. It's very interesting and well done, and worth checking out if you are in the area. It's a free standing memorial, you can just wander through, but it's really worth seeing IMHO.

Definitely take a duck tour, but book it a few days ahead of time, they fill up fast on weekends.

I used to live in Boston, so if I think of other ideas I will pop back in here.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you were going during the season, I would say Symphony Hall, but there's nothing going on there during the summer.

Oh, and don't forget the new Apple store. :D

18. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

:D

i think my mom really wants to stay in the city. and she will not drive a car in boston haha. i will make sure we go to Zaftigs for breakfast, we are going only during the week btw so we can hopefually aviod alot of lines. if we do go to freedom trail we will make sure we stop by the holocost memorial, i think my mom would enjoy that. and alot of ppl have suggest a duck tour so i take it there pretty good.

o ya the new apple store forsure!!!! that probably 25% of the reason were going there haha. i have never been to an apple store before so it should be quite enjoyable.
    :D

thanks guys

19. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Try this..

Do this Boston walking tour with your mp3 player ... be sure to stop at the Union Oyster House and have some oysters ... the tour is *great* and totally worth it! :)

http://www.audisseyguides.com/boston

20. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

neat-o i had no idea thy made these kind of things.
    thanks

21. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Only spent a couple of days and one night in Boston and fell in love with the place.

We stayed at the Omni Parker House Hotel. Fantastic hotel and room rate was pretty good, if I remember correctly we paid £119 for the night.

The John F. Kennedy Library and Museum is a must see.

Only went to one place on the night we were there, The Hub Pub great bar, very friendly and that's all I can remember from that night. Why do Americans loving buying us British a drink :D

22. fotografica macrumors 68040

Go over the bridge to Cambridge..You can check out:
    The MIT Museum
    Harvard Square (which is loaded with small,local shops and stores.Great place to walk around and sample the local flavor)
    For a variety of restaurants,walk along Mass Ave in Cambridge.It's like the "U.N." of restaurants.Unbelievable selection..
    The Esplanade along the Charles usually has something (concert,play etc) going on during the summer..Check that out as well..

You've got quite the list with all the suggestions that have been posted above..My advice as a lifelong resident..Walk it,cab it or take the "T"..Much less frustrating than renting a car and driving.

23. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

ok i have a long list, and we will be walking most of it or taking the "t" :D
    thanks for all your help:D

24. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze