Traveling to Canada for a week - what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spaceboy88, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Spaceboy88 macrumors member

Spaceboy88

I have the Verizon iPhone 5 which is GSM unlocked and wondering if anyone knows what my options are for using the phone on a pre-paid SIM in Montreal?

2. sangreal06 macrumors member

Verizon has CDMA coverage in Montreal and the rates aren't bad. You can add data plan for $25/100mb and texts are free. I think calls are $0.70/minute or you can get a plan

3. Spaceboy88 thread starter macrumors member

Spaceboy88

Thanks, I'll give them a call and see about this. I saw it on the web but it looked like it was a monthly plan.

4. pbateman macrumors 6502

I was in Canada earlier this year for a week with my unlocked ATT phone and it was a pain in the ass, most carriers would not sell me a prepaid card unless i got into a contract (which of course i wasn't since I do not live there) and the ones that did offer once required a Canadian credit card to open the account...which of course I did not have either.
    If I would have known I would have enabled international data plan form ATT and saved myself the headache (I understand this is not an option for you).
    In short I spent a week and could not use it other than in wifi locations.

----------

x2 Id do that...you'll save yourself the headache...

5. Spaceboy88 thread starter macrumors member

Spaceboy88

What a huge pain. When I travel to Europe you can buy those pre-paid SIM cards in vending machines in post places. I was hoping Canada (Montreal) would be the same way.

6. pbateman macrumors 6502

Its not the same trust me..when i go to Europe I buy a pre paid sim with no issue too....not the case in CA.

7. Spaceboy88 thread starter macrumors member

Spaceboy88

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to just use the VZW option and save myself the stress.
    :apple: