Traveling to Canada for a week - what are my options?

Spaceboy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
I have the Verizon iPhone 5 which is GSM unlocked and wondering if anyone knows what my options are for using the phone on a pre-paid SIM in Montreal?

sangreal06

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Verizon has CDMA coverage in Montreal and the rates aren't bad. You can add data plan for $25/100mb and texts are free. I think calls are $0.70/minute or you can get a plan

Spaceboy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
Verizon has CDMA coverage in Montreal and the rates aren't bad. You can add data plan for $25/100mb and texts are free. I think calls are $0.70/minute or you can get a plan
Thanks, I'll give them a call and see about this. I saw it on the web but it looked like it was a monthly plan.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I was in Canada earlier this year for a week with my unlocked ATT phone and it was a pain in the ass, most carriers would not sell me a prepaid card unless i got into a contract (which of course i wasn't since I do not live there) and the ones that did offer once required a Canadian credit card to open the account...which of course I did not have either.
If I would have known I would have enabled international data plan form ATT and saved myself the headache (I understand this is not an option for you).
In short I spent a week and could not use it other than in wifi locations.

----------

x2 Id do that...you'll save yourself the headache...

Spaceboy88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
I was in Canada earlier this year for a week with my unlocked ATT phone and it was a pain in the ass, most carriers would not sell me a prepaid card unless i got into a contract (which of course i wasn't since I do not live there) and the ones that did offer once required a Canadian credit card to open the account...which of course I did not have either.
If I would have known I would have enabled international data plan form ATT and saved myself the headache (I understand this is not an option for you).
In short I spent a week and could not use it other than in wifi locations.
What a huge pain. When I travel to Europe you can buy those pre-paid SIM cards in vending machines in post places. I was hoping Canada (Montreal) would be the same way.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
What a huge pain. When I travel to Europe you can buy those pre-paid SIM cards in vending machines in post places. I was hoping Canada (Montreal) would be the same way.
Its not the same trust me..when i go to Europe I buy a pre paid sim with no issue too....not the case in CA.