traveling to Ethiopia-- what about my chargers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by seenew, Jul 26, 2012.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Hey everyone,

I'm traveling to Ethiopia for a video shoot in a few days, and I was just wondering what the best solution would be for charging all of my batteries and equipment once I'm there. I'm still investigating what types of wall outlets they use, but I know it's 220 and not 110 so that's my first obstacle.

I've got 3 or 4 Canon battery chargers for my 5D3's, and a couple other devices along with my MBP and iPhone that will need to be plugged in at night.

I was thinking maybe there is some sort of power strip I could buy that will convert their outlet into like 6 or 8 110 US (forgive me, I don't know the correct terminology) outlets...

I don't travel outside the US much (something I'm hoping to change soon) so any help is appreciated.

2. juanm, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Lesson 253: When you travel to the third world, don't forget to bring with you your own first world problems ;)

More seriously, though:
    http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/voltage/Ethiopia

Most (if not all) consumer chargers accept 110 to 240V inputs, so get a power strip, and a single plug adapter, and you'll be fine.

Depending on where you're going, power outages might be frequent, so it might be a good idea to get an inverter to charge your stuff from a car battery.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

As stated, many consumer goods, especially electronics, already cover the entire voltage spectrum. All you need is a plug adapter to actually be able to plug it in.

You only run into issues with cheaper goods/adapters (I think my old DS adapter is US only for instance) and things with motors - I knew countless girls when I studied abroad who fried their hair dryers because they didn't have a voltage converter or whatever.

All I bought was 2 sets of EU/UK/AU adapters for like $12 when I studied in Italy for 6 months (and went to Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovakia, Switzerland and England).

4. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew