Traveling to France, Need help (French natives would be helpful!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redrox5, Apr 14, 2009.

1. redrox5 macrumors member

So I'm going to France soon (about a month) and would like a bit of help with my mobile situation. I'll be using an unlocked iPhone 2G. I already know which pre-paid sim I'll be using in the UK (O2 with Your Country tariff and Web+Wifi bolt on), however I'm lost when it comes to France. I am interested in getting an Orange sim, as they are the official iPhone carrier there. The website isn't much help to those outside of France and I'm only finding Orange sims at prices like $50-60, for just the sim with no top-up credit! :confused: I'm only going to be there for a few days, but would like to use a local pre-paid sim.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

2. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Why don't until you wait until you get there and stop by a store. Most International airports will have a mobile kiosk as well. Also if you're only there for a few days, why bother? Just use a UK sim, it may cost a little more, but easier then the other jargon

3. Shanebibi macrumors newbie

Hi.

I'm french so I can dig a little bit for you, but what do you need exactly ? Wi-fi ? Web ? Something else ? And how long will you stay ?

4. damgui macrumors newbie

Hey!

I'm French too, and I have an iPhone on orange's network.

I think the best solution for you would be to buy a "Mobicarte" sim card at an orange store, it cost €15 ($20), you already have €5 of communication or SMS on it, and you can buy extra-credit (5€, 10€, 15€, 25€...) in supermarkets, or in Orange Stores (they are very numerous).

But the point is that if you buy a "Mobicarte" and you use the 3G network it will cost you a lot... But I don't see any other possible solution...

5. Shanebibi macrumors newbie

Actually there's a little trick with Mobicarte.

You can indeed buy a sim card for 15 euros and then buy communication credit. Regarding internet though, you can subscribe to an option called "Internet Max", which allow you to surf with no limit during a month. This option cost 9 euros.

So to recap :
    - Buy a sim card "Mobicarte" for 15 euros
    - Buy extra-credit for at least 10 euros
    - Subscribe "Internet Max" option for 9 euros (subscription is done directly from the phone)

All of this with Orange of course.