Traveling to HONG KONG, need to unlock iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by applehappy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. applehappy macrumors regular

Hi, just about to take a trip to Hong Kong from the USA. I would like to use my iPhone 4, my wife's 3GS, and iPad while there. Unfortunately I have upgraded all of them to the latest s/w (4.2.1) and unlocking them at home seems impossible.

Do I have any chance of getting them unlocked so I can buy pay as you go sims while there? ATT is a solid ripoff on roaming there. I need to make phone calls and use data. I'd be willing to use Data only and call via Skype.

I see there are options to pay for unlocking online, but I have a hard time paying $25 each for three devices to some web-site when I won't know if it worked until I get there.

Should I wait until I'm in Hong Kong and pay a store to unlock them? I also worry about giving access to my data to a store clerk for hours.

Thanks for any help. I never make a move without consulting MR forums.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There is no current unlock for the ip4 on the highest baseband that 4.2.1 upgraded u to. The 3GS can use the iPads baseband to unlock.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just an FYI, if you got your iPhones on the states the ONLY carrier that can unlock them is AT&T, they are locked to AT&T network and they are the only ones that have the unlocking codes. Hong Kong carriers can't unlock any other phone but those locked to their network.

with the iP4 you are out of luck.

3GS you could use the iPad baseband however please READ, READ, READ again all the warnings, most importantly the fact that it is a undoable hack, you will be voiding your warranty and the ability to upgrade using Apple's firmware.

for the iPad, is the same case as the 3GS, if you got your 3.2.2 SHSH save you can play some games, but also not recommended

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not buy them from Hong Kong officially unlocked?
    Sell the ones locked to AT&T maybe.

5. observer macrumors member

??? iPad?

Aren't all iPads already unlocked? Get a SIM, stick it in, go.....

6. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I suggest you call ATT and ask them what your options are. This has come up numerous times in the past and the net of it is, you are SOL.

7. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just visiting for a week, so selling all my devices to buy new in Hong Kong is out.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking the best way to go for me would be to just use free or paid wifi where available and Skype for phone calls and/or rent phones while there. I've been looking for city-wide wifi options with no luck, but wanting to use my own iPhones really screws me over with ATT.

The AT&T rates while in Hong Kong for voice and Data are just criminal.:eek:

Thanks AT&T from a loyal 12 year customer!

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

What did you think ATT would/should do? Did you even call them to find out?

$2.29 or $1.99/minute voice.
    50 cents/text sent
    $0.0195/KB data

What would another vendor do?

9. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I dunno, why can I use any cell phone company in Hong Kong to make phone calls, access data, text for a tiny fraction of what ATT wants to charge me? I realize it's their right and I signed the contract, but it's crazy money.
    Seriously, ATT can't partner with anyone in Hong Kong to get better rates then that?
    Why would I call ATT? They post their rates and options online. What will they unlock my phone if I ask nicely?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, no matter how you ask they will not unlock any US iphone.

11. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

I know I was just kidding that he suggested I call them.

12. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Well the ipad is set, factory unlock.

Get a prepaid phone while you are there, something with a bit of data.

That plus a sim cutter and microsim adapter and you should be good. Leave the useless locked phones behind.

13. mactancoc macrumors newbie

I don't think at&t will allow unlocking your iPhone. iPad are factory unlocked but once it was upgraded it will automatically be locked. If you needed data and 3g and wife in your iPhones and iPad you just download iSip from InTouch,even if they are all locked iSip will still work, you dont need a Sim card,all calls are made directly to the Sip provider. If both of them will not work for you then consider renting a phone or buying a new one,its your discretion.

14. MikePA, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I didn't say call ATT and ask for your phone to be unlocked. I suggested calling them, describe your situation and see what they suggest. Or keep pi$$ing and moaning here, that accomplishes a lot. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And name another US carrier who (1) Offers a phone that'd work in Hong Kong and (2) Their prices.

15. Bandolier, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Why do all of these overeager technology-ignorant people upgrade their **** and then complain when they can't unlock/jailbreak?

16. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Man you guys are great. First I get "stop pissing and moaning" and then I'm an idiot for upgrading my s/w before I knew I was travelling.
    Look, I'm a regular user and have been here lots. Just looking for people that might have actual help rather than ATT defenders or people that want to attack me.

17. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I didnt complain about unlocking. I was looking for options. Hey, thanks for chiming in though. Tech ignorant. Who are talking to? You don't have a clue about me.

18. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I know you don't know enough about your device to make smart decisions.

19. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

What a great guy. A clueless, great guy. But its cool to grope around forums being a jerk I'm sure. Hey thanks for all your Hong Kong expertise pal. People like you make looking for help in a forum much less fun.

20. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

So..lets try to nip this in the bud before it gets worse.

As far as I know.
    iP4 at the latest update: You cannot unlock.
    3GS: You can update, but you would lose your GPS capability and there is no WAY to get back to normal so make sure you're really really desperate.
    iPad: I think they're already unlocked. But im not sure, for what its worth, I'm able to use my Kindle worldwide and its powered by an AT&T SIM.

21. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Hong Kong carrier doesn't unlock phone for you because all iPhones in HK are officially unlock. I would suggest bring along an old phone you have and buy prepaid sim card here. Prepaid sim cards are really cheap in HK. As for online, use your iPad + data sim card will do. Try not to use 3 because their connection/3G sucks. Get Vodafone,123,1010.

22. ekk20 macrumors member

take it to an apple authorized repair center in Hong Kong, tell them you have the antennagate problem (which is exactly what I did), they gave me a new phone in 3 days. (this was in the summer of 2010, when the phone was just released in HK)

see if they would give you an exchange of iphone and test your luck, see if you'd get an unlocked one in return.

23. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice. My ability to keep up with the latest on unlock news is limited these days.

FYI, I realized I had my wifes old Samsung phone that I own outright. Called ATT and they gave me the unlock code. So, that will be my heavy long distance phone with a local rent-a-sim in Hong Kong.

The iPhones and iPad will still be used with wifi access. From what I understand there is a ton of free access and pay available.

Thanks again.

24. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

If you knew what you were doing and weren't so overeager to update for little to no reason, you'd know TinyUmbrella preserves the baseband for iPhone 4 and only iPhone 4. So if you'd used that, your 4.2.1 iPhone 4 would still be on 1.59.00, an unlockable baseband.

25. applehappy thread starter macrumors regular

You have no clue why I updated. Go away. I presented my problem and asked for advice, not some jerk giving me lessons in when to update. I had a valid reason to update, and it was before I knew about my trip. Go away nasty person. And no, I do not have the time right now to keep up with what TinyUmbrella is doing.
    You see, I asked a question and others helped me. You, did not.