Traveling to Japan with iPhone - what's the latest?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macnoir, May 17, 2010.

1. macnoir macrumors newbie

Hi,

There has been a lot of good info regarding using foreign iPhones in Japan, but I'm wondering if it's time to for an update to keep things current. From what I've read, the situation with the carriers is fluid and doesn't always seem logical.

Here's my situation: I'll be traveling to Tokyo for a week in late June early July 2010. I'm hoping to use my unlocked (& jailbroken) iPhone 3GS. I'm more interested in data than voice. Ideally, I'd like to buy a sim card and drop it in my iphone and be done. Are things that simple yet?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Sorry, but no. :(

The concept of selling SIM cards without an accompanying phone is extremely foreign to Japanese carriers. It simply doesn't work like that here, period. Stupid, I know ...

4. macnoir thread starter macrumors newbie

forgot to ask about renting an iPhone

Hi,

In my original post I forgot to ask about the feasibility of renting an iphone. Obviously I would prefer to find a sim which would work, but failing that do you think I'd have any luck renting an iphone with a fair data allowance. Tethering would be a great bonus!

5. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I thought it was a great article for anyone to read prior to traveling "anywhere" abroad.

This may help... (check the last post)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=401516