Traveling to London and Liverpool - SIM Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PTVMan, Feb 7, 2016.

1. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2012
    I'm going to London and Liverpool for four days at the end of this month and have an unlocked iPhone 6s Plus. I looked at AT&T international Passport plans and the rates are insane. I've read that prepaid Vodafone SIMs work very well in both cities. Should I buy the SIM now, if that's even possible, or wait until I get to Liverpool? Any other suggestions for better/cheaper service? I know it's only a 4-day trip but I really want to be reachable from the US by my relatives and pet/house sitter.
  2. philstubbington macrumors member

Apr 19, 2010
    Henley On Thames, Oxfordshire, England
    You'll be able to pick up a SIM very easily - many shops sell them (assuming your 'phone remains unlocked).

Take a look at to see what the coverage is like in the areas you're likely to be. A 'pay as you go' SIM would seem the best option - which will set you back 99 pence :) plus the call costs. They'll be dialling internationally of course.
  3. PTVMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks! Both mine and my wife's phones were officially unlocked by AT&T.
  4. abta1 macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2010
    Paris, France
    Both are major cities so the carrier shouldn't matter. You can grab a pay as you go sim from various stores. Just pick the one with the minutes/sms/data combo you want. Some may even have international minutes options.
  5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

Sep 30, 2014
    You can get the SIMs before leaving LHR airport.
  6. cambookpro macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Any network should be fine really as both London and Liverpool will have good coverage.

You could try Three's 321 SIM, which gives you 3p/min, 2p/text and 1p/MB - seems to be one of the cheapest PAYG rates.
  7. dbagg macrumors member

Oct 31, 2013
    I also recommend Three, very cheap 30day plans with a lot more data than other carriers.