Traveling to Miami - What not to miss?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacRazySwe, Jan 30, 2016.

1. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'll give it a go.

I will be traveling to Miami in late february, this will actually be my third time visiting. Even after two visits, I feel as if I've only scratched the surface. There is just so much to do, I actually missed out on several things during both of my previous trips as time passed so quickly. I figured I would be even more prepared this time. I would greatly appreciate any advice for things not to miss out on. Last time I went to Miami, I went with my girlfriend, which meant lots of amusement parks, shopping, beach-days, dinner and drinks. This time it will be me with my entire family of age 23 to 85. We'll be staying for 7 days this time (a bit short I know, did 14 days and 10 days respectively, previously).

So far I've seen:

- Orlando - Disney, Universal, Epcot and all that
    - Fort Lauderdale - City, Int'l Waterway, Gallerias
    - Miami - Beach, Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road, Bayside, Downtown Miami, Coconut Grove, Dolphin Mall, et.c.
    - Sarasota - Siesta Key Beach

Here's what we're planning on doing this time:

- Key West
    - Everglades
    - Naples
    - Miami (3 days)
    - Half day in Ft Lauderdale
    - Half day at Sawgrass Mills for some shopping

Any type of advice is greatly appreciated!

- Great places to eat out
    - Things to see and do in Miami, Key West, Naples
    - Best beaches (I've heard that Big Baggs State Park is a lot better than SoBe? Delnor Wiggins Pass State Park in Naples? Et.c.)
    - Clothes to shop for and the best places to go for shopping
    - Electronics, same as above

I usually tend to shop around for good deals (compared to Swedish prices) when in the US, however the exchange rate is not really that favorable right now, so I'm more interested in finding cool things which are not available in Sweden. However, clothes are always cheap.

Oh and I had planned to pick up a Skylake rMB while in the US, but of course we won't be seeing one until the March-event, by which I will be back home again. My perfect timing, as always... :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Huntn, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

* Stop at the Everglades and walk out on the elevated paths to look at alligators. :)
    * Eat Stone Crab!
    * Visit John Pennekamp State Park by Key Largo, I think. It's underwater and requires a boat ride.
    * Snorkel in Key West.
    * Visit Dry Tortugas National Park, with a fort, but that is a boat or plane ride too.
    * Ernest Hemingway House Museum, Key West. :)
    * Watch The Birdcage. ;)