Traveling to Portugal, suitable PAYG SIM Card for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samus45281, Aug 6, 2010.

1. samus45281 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Apologies if this is a duplicate of an old thread, I have searched the forum and could not find any answer to my question.

I have an iPad 3G and would like to pick up a pay as you go SIM card over there for internet browsing e mailing. would any of our Portuguese colleagues or our seasoned travellers know what would be the best option?

Many thanks

2. sirees01 macrumors member

I'm in Mallorca at the moment and picked up a PAYG orange sim card for my UK iPad. Works a treat cost €20 and I've received 800mb already and it's still going strong. The girl at the counter told me it would cost €3.50 per day to top up for unlimited access. You will need to manually insert APN settings for Orange which are internet-orange-orange

Hope this helps!

Cheers
    Simon

3. RMSaramago macrumors newbie

Mallorca is in Spain, not Portugal, and we don't have Orange here, so the previous suggestion will not work.

Although iPads are still not for sale in Portugal, both Vodafone and TMN started selling micro-SIM cards specifically for them.

These are the links - sorry, Portuguese only:

http://www.vodafone.pt/main/Particulares/BandaLargaMovel/MicroSIM.htm

http://www.tmn.pt/portal/site/tmn/m...toid=8f3e5359f4343110VgnVCM1000005401650aRCRD

If you want pay-as-you-go, Vodafone gives 10 hours of use for €10 of unlimited data at 1Mbps and TMN gives 1GB of data for €15.04 (no time limit) at 7.2Mbps. Also, you can get a full month of unlimited data from TMN (at 7.2Mbps) if you're willing to pay €35.15.
    I have the Vodafone 10 for 10, since I use mostly Wi-fi spots.

In any case, you buy the card from their agents at shopping malls, etc, and
    can add money to the account at any ATM.

Hope this helps.

4. biotricon macrumors newbie

I returned from Portugal a few weeks ago. Picked up a paygo 3G data simcard at Faro airport (as they had no microsims in stock) from Vodafone and cut it down to size. I told them it was for an unlocked dongle. Worked perfectly for the whole week.

If you go for the 10hour unlimited data option for 10€ get used to turning off cellular data when you're not using the Internet.

The APN used was - internet.vodafone.pt (username/password - blank)
    Make sure you keep the pin number in the packaging, as it will prompt you for it each time you power off/on the iPad.

5. slaphotk macrumors member

Buenos Aires anyone??

Keeping along the same theme..Has anyone traveled to Buenos Aires with their Ipad? What are the 3G options there??

Thanks

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Is Orange still the best option for one traveling to Portugal with an iphone/ipad (data only)? Thanks

7. vandal76 macrumors newbie

Go for TMN...

... as they have micro sims in stock, no need for cutting.
    I got one last year when on holidays in the Algarve. Costs you 10/15 euros and comes with a 1 month data browsing as an introductory offer. You will notice how fast 3G speeds are over there, my iphone was flying !
    Make sure you have an ID card/passport or you won't be able to get one.
    :)