Traveling to the UK with iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlueIS3, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BlueIS3 macrumors newbie

Got a question about using UK Pre-Paid SIM Cards and data setup.

My parents, who are not very tech savy, are heading for the UK. They will be there for three weeks. My Mom has an iPhone 3GS which I just had AT&T unlock.

As soon as they arrive, they plan to get a pre-paid SIM card to use for in country calling and for data while traveling. Question is this: Would they need to do any carrier specific settings to get data working?

I've recommended they get a T-Mobile SIM since T-Mobile seemed to have the best data rates.

Thanks!

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Nope just put it in I'd recommend using Three,I used them while in London awesome service

3. BlueIS3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

How much did you have to pay for dara on Three?

4. biohead macrumors 6502

I would usually recommend giffgaff, but it takes some configuration from the user.

Three do unlimited data, 3000 texts and 300 mins for £15 for 30 days on payg? It's probably the best value one with easiest setup.

You'll likely get better coverage on Tmobile - but if your parents are staying in even slightly built up areas - three will be fine.

5. Furifo macrumors 6502

6. Sintaku macrumors newbie

Also note that in the UK incoming minutes and texts are free so the inclusive minutes are purely outgoing. Texts and minutes are only for the UK.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

To summarise:

We have five carriers in the UK (Orange, T-Mobile, O2, Vodafone and Three).

All of them will sell anyone a PAYG SIM that works in an iPhone 3GS. You don't need ID. You might need to register the SIM, but you don't usually need to give a UK address (even if you do, the address of a hotel should be ok).

As all of them are official iPhone carriers, you don't need to configure any settings when you put the SIM in the phone.

Although mentioned earlier, Giffgaff is a small MVNO that probably isn't suitable for an international visitor - especially someone who isn't "tech savvy". There's not going to be a shop where you can buy a SIM from them.

I think that the £15 offer from Three is the best value.