Travelling - how to back up iPhone photos to external HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedTomato, Jan 4, 2014.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hiya

I'm travelling in South America & I'd like to back up the photos on my iPhone 4S (ios7). I have a mini external HDD. My local contact has a laptop with Windows 8 which I can borrow for an hour or so.

I've tried and tried, and I cannot for the life of me work out how to back up the photos to my HDD via his laptop. That's over and above struggling with Windows 8:(

Any advice? What's the quickest way? I don't want to be stuck indoors with his laptop for several hours.

(Also if I do it again next week how do I ensure just new photos are added?) I've formatted the HDD as exfat but can reformat if needed.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Dropbox is a great tool for this. I use it as an additional backup to iCloud.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083 There are Windows 8-specific instructions. As long as your external HDD appears in Windows Explorer, you should be able to save to a folder on that HDD. Formatting the drive as exfat should be fine.

This is probably as quick as it gets. It does *not* require iTunes software.

4. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Thanks ApfelKuchen. Seems nice and simple. So that's what I was missing. Will give it a go in the morning.

I already use Dropbox for documents but it's not suitable for backing up many GB of photos in a couple of hours over whatever connection I can find in the wild.