Travelling: MacBook and iPod or iPhone + £450?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Nov 5, 2007.

?

Which to take..

1. MacBook and iPod Classic 80GB (all my music and vids)

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. iPhone (with 80% of my music, no vids) + £450

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Since I solved my dilemma in the previous thread, of whether I should take a Nikon D40 and Canon IXUS on my travels.. the MacBook issue is still bugging me.

Reasons to take:
    • Internet wherever there's Wi-Fi
    • MSN, e-mail, FaceBook
    • All my Music, Videos and Photos. Backups and ability to upload whenever with no time limit
    • Ability to watch DVDs and films when we're in the hostels at night, or during the day on journeys

Reasons not to take:
    • More money in my account - an extra £150+ per month
    • No risk of it being stolen - I won't have the hassle of finding somewhere to keep it when we go out at night.
    • It's a small laptop, but its still a laptop - and something extra to carry. When its not open and in use, it will be a nusance.

Will there be somewhere I can securely keep my MacBook when I'm going out and staying the night in a hostel - or would I be better off selling it and taking more money?

Are there still such things as Internet Cafe's [with wi-fi being everywhere, don't people just bring their own laptops?] for me to upload pictures to FaceBook and do e-mailing?

Do I want the convenience of a MacBook - with all my media to entertain us, keep us in contact back home, and then an iPod for on the move... or do I want to travel really light with just an iPhone with some of my music, and use the Wi-Fi on that for FaceBooking etc - but forced to find/borrow computers to upload my pictures [if thats even possible with Wi-Fi being everywhere!]

2. Lau Guest

No question, mate. Travel light. I'd almost be tempted to say don't take any of it, but the two things I think would be useful would be internet access and on occasion to have a way to block out the annoying bastards who are having a party in the hostel corridor at 4 am. The iPhone would solve both these problems, and there is absolutely no way you want to be lugging around a laptop.

I would also say that if you're travelling, anything valuable you need to be able to carry it on your person all the time, because it's not guaranteed (at all) to have anywhere safe to leave it.

It'll be useful to have a way to look on Google maps or to quickly check things, and there are about a million internet cafes to upload pictures (and you'll be having far too much fun to do to that often).

A good rule of thumb is that you rarely regret having not brought something, but you often regret lugging round a load of ***** that you don't need. This guy writes well about travelling light – well worth a read. He talks about just taking the basics and a bit of cash and if you need something sort it out when you get there. In other words, don't carry a snow jacket, and a raincoat, and a wax jacket, and an umbrella, just go as you are and if it rains, buy an umbrella (or do what the locals do). It's a good theory.

As much as you think you want to stay in touch, you'll be out enjoying yourself, and why would you watch a DVD in your room when you could go out for a walk or meet some people?

And have a great time! <---- jealous :p

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I voted iPhone, but IMO the best one is getting an iPhone and iPod.

iPhone for all the computery stuff and video. iPod for music.

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

If they find a way to unlock the iPhone with 1.1.2 - I'll get that, an iPod Classic... and the extra cash.

As much as I love my MacBook.. I can buy a new one when I'm back :)

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Maybe an Asus eee PC might be more your bag. Limited storage, but potentially more comfortable to do more useful things on than an iPhone.

The Sony UX is (in) my bag - but it is more than twice the price of a base Macbook.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never knew the OQO had competition!

I'd say an OQO or a UX is probably the best solution as it combines everything into one tiny package. But it's the price.

And why a Macbook? If you're going travelling why not get an old 12" iBook? they're smaller and do all the "travelling" stuff, unless you like to edit HD video on a boat :D

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Since I already have one. :)

I'll be selling a 3-week old MacBook if you guys convince me.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's more than competition I'd say.

[​IMG]

As you can see it provides real options in mobility. It's not a fast Vista machine - it's a Core Solo after all - but it does run everything. The display is tiny but it's a very good example of an LED screen. It has limitations and there are times when I'm poking at it that I wish I had a full-sized laptop with me, but more often than not the portability overrides such issues. If deskbound, you can stick a screen on the docking station / mobile dongle, add a USB keyb/mouse and it becomes a usable desktop. My major initial gripe was that it comes loaded down with crapware which you have to spend half a day figuring out what / how to remove.

With the extended battery (increases weight by 100g / 0.2lbs) it's a 5-genuine-hour machine with power saving features enabled.

And... why not a 12" iBook? Possibly because it's not noticeably lighter than the Macbook? My 12" Sony G11 weighs half that of the Macbook, while the iBook is about the same weight.

10. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

iPhone. Do not take a laptop. There's a whole world out there. I would be tempted not to get the iphone either. I only have one because I am not on a year out myself.

Sell the lot. Buy better stuff (iPhone 2) when you get back. Take a cheap phone or none at all and have a great time! You don't need facebook. I, for one, really like being away from all this internet and techno mumbo-jumbo when I am travelling...

11. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

It's either an iPhone or Sony Ericsson K850i.

Defo. And an iPod Classic.

That will suit me fine. Does anyone know if the Photo Connector dongle thingy from Apple works with the Classic?

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Get that gadget that saves your camera's images to your ipod.

The less you travel with, the better off you are.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i personally have to have a computer wherever i go, so i voted for the macbook