Travelling: MBP, DSLR, Canon HV20 - Backpack or Shoulder Bag

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NomadicTy, Nov 9, 2007.

1. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Hi!

I will be going overseas in less than two weeks, and I would like some recommendations on how to haul my new 15" MBP, a Canon HV20, and Canon Rebel. The I'll only be bringing one zoom lens for the DSLR. My main concern is hauling the equipment to and from the airports. I will have another bag to use for when I go see the sights, so I won't have my mbp during those times.

I was almost decided on just a backpack. But when I was looking through MR, someone posted a review somewhere where a guy carried his laptop in a backpack through a trip in Asia. The backpack lost - case cracked, screen basically destroyed. Now I wonder why this does not happen more often. The laptop inside the backpack basically being banged against your back as you walk, and all your other stuff putting their weight on it. The mbp is aluminum, so it would probably bend before breaking.

Before I discount backpacks altogether, does anybody have any experience with carrying these types of equipment to and from the airport? With their stuff getting back home without being destroyed?

How about shoulder bags? Any recommendations on a good one?

Thanks!

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

my old roommate had this problem and he ended up getting a hardsided plastic case (like a pelican) there was just too much money at stake to lose to a soft sided bag.

good luck

3. lorax macrumors newbie

I have tried both a shoulder bag and a backpack and ultimately chose the backpack. With the weight distributed on your back (the MBP and DSLR get pretty heavy) it leaves you with free hands to manage the travel process.

My bag of choice is the Kata R-103. Kata also makes body armor, so this bag is extremely tough. I've dragged my 15" MBP w/ accessories, a Canon 5D with 3 lenses and a flash through all sorts of rough situations and have never had any damage to the equipment contained inside.

The other thing I like about the bag is that it doesn't scream "expensive equipment inside" like some of the shoulder bags do. Helpful when you're traveling in regions where theft is a concern.

Here's a link to a comparison review done by Digital Photographer: http://www.kata-bags.com/reviews/DigitalPhotographerR-103.pdf