Travelling to Canada from US, where can I get a good SIM card for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scariaga, Dec 16, 2009.

1. scariaga macrumors regular

So Yeah I'm travelling to Toronto for the holidays and I wanted to be able to use my phone over there. I know that Rogers has a Sim card you can prepay for but I don't think it has a data plan. Anybody have any experience with this? I'd obviously like to save as much money as possible. I don't really need a lot of minutes, just enough for a hand full of calls. I would like to have a data plan as well. Any recomendations?

2. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Rogers prepaid plans do not have anything like a general purpose "unlimited data" option.

Their pay-per-use data rate used to be $0.05 per kilobyte, but they do not advertise that rate anymore.

They do have an "unlimited browsing" add-on for $7 per month, that works on "Rogers Certified devices". Their pay-per-use rate for "mobile browsing" is currently $1 per day for as many web pages as you care to visit throughout that day, also available only on "Rogers Certified devices". There is no explanation of what happens if you attempt to access data that cannot be classified as browsing a web page. I cannot find any explanation of what qualifies as a "certified device" in this context, nor can I find any information of what the charges would be if you were using an uncertified device.

Another alternative is Fido. Fido has also recently replaced its previous per-kilobyte rate with a flat $1 per day in any day in which you perform any web browsing, for as much browsing as you can squeeze into the course of the day. This offer specifically says that it applies to both Web browsing and data use in applications. It only applies to "Fido certified devices", again with no explanation of what it actually means to be "certified" in this context, nor of what you should expect to pay if you're on a non-certified device.

If you have an iPhone 3G or newer, then Bell and Telus may also be options. But I haven't looked into either of their prepaid service offerings, so I don't feel comfortable offering an opinion of them.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

This may be a silly question, but is your iPhone unlocked?

4. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

If you will have access to wi-fi, use the Skype app to make your calls. That's what I did. You have to pay for calls to normal (non-skype) phones, but they are super cheap. I only spent like $3 on the entire trip, and I made tons of calls. My hotel had free wi-fi.

5. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

yeah looks like Fido will be the best. thanks for the info :)

6. scariaga thread starter macrumors regular

no it's not

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

As far as I know you will not be able to use a foreign SIM in the iPhone then. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Correct.

If the phone is locked to AT&T, then it will not accept any Canadian carriers' SIM cards (or, by the way, any other carrier anywhere in the world that isn't AT&T). Since AT&T doesn't offer authorized unlocking of their iPhones, you'd have to hack the phone to unlock it for use with non-AT&T SIM cards.