dannyp1996

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I hope you can help me.

I live in the UK and have an iPhone 5 on the 3 network.

In a few months I will be visiting New York for a week or so, and wanted to use my phone whilst I'm there.

Bearing in mind that the phone will be unlocked when I go, what are my options regarding swapping my SIM card out for a local carrier, or something similar. I am unlikely to use it to make many calls or send a large number of texts, however mobile data is a requirement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Hi everyone, I hope you can help me.

I live in the UK and have an iPhone 5 on the 3 network.

In a few months I will be visiting New York for a week or so, and wanted to use my phone whilst I'm there.

Bearing in mind that the phone will be unlocked when I go, what are my options regarding swapping my SIM card out for a local carrier, or something similar. I am unlikely to use it to make many calls or send a large number of texts, however mobile data is a requirement.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If coverage isn't and issue recommend getting T-Mobile's $30 5GB 4G Web, Unlimited Text, and 100 Min Plan. You have to buy a new PREPAID sim card (eBay is good) and activate it online to qualify for that plan. Then you top off with a CC, or go to a T-Mobile Store, Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, 7-11, KMart, Just to name a few stores.

You probably will have to trim the sim card to the nano size, or alternately buy a Nano Sim Card cutter.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If coverage isn't and issue recommend getting T-Mobile's $30 5GB 4G Web, Unlimited Text, and 100 Min Plan. You have to buy a new PREPAID sim card (eBay is good) and activate it online to qualify for that plan. Then you top off with a CC, or go to a T-Mobile Store, Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, 7-11, KMart, Just to name a few stores.

You probably will have to trim the sim card to the nano size, or alternately buy a Nano Sim Card cutter.

He won't need a sim card cutter since T-mobile stores sell nano sim cards.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Just to let you know, T-Mobile isn't the best suggestion.

1) You will not get LTE (in fact any iPhone bought in the UK to this date doesn't support any LTE from America)

2) T-Mobile uses band 4 a lot for their services. From my experience last summer with a UK iPhone 5, it was pretty bad.

If you want better service, choose AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.