Travelling to the US: What's the best prepay iPhone plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nzmitch, Feb 8, 2009.

1. nzmitch macrumors newbie

Our iPhones come unlocked out of the box down here in NZ so when I head off to the US for a month tomorrow I plan on picking up a prepay SIM in the US so I can use my iPhone without worrying about the *huge* roaming costs I could otherwise expect.

Can anyone recommend the best value prepay plan. Will use a small amount of voice / SMS daily but I'm most interested in data. I've got a 3G.

Not sure how much this affects thing but I'll be travelling to SFO, BOS, DCA and NYC.

Cheers!

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Here is a link to AT&T's prepaid.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...?wtSlotClick=1-00166N-0-2&WT.svl=calltoaction

3. rollingstart Guest

Don't use AT&T GoPhone for data, you'll be charged an arm and a leg for downloading an email. OP is better off sticking to wi-fi hotspots, they're all over the place, it's faster and cheaper.

As a matter of fact I'm not sure if there's any good prepay phone in the US that offers decent data service.

4. nzmitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, for what Vodafone charges down here in New Zealand and arm and a leg shouldn't be too bad.

We're confined to 250mb per month down here, which leads to fairly disciplined usage.

Is ATT the best solution then? I'm after something that will work wherever, whenever. I'm happy to pay for the priviledge - just not at roaming data rates!