Travelling to US with UK iPhone 5 and need pre-pay data sim - Advice needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jawad7, Oct 3, 2013.

1. jawad7 macrumors member

Need help for anyone in the USA and knows about pre-pay/pay as you go sim cards. I have an Apple Store UK bought unlocked iPhone 5 and heading to the US next week for a short trip. Could really do with access to data without paying the extortionate roaming fees. Is it possible to buy a pre-pay nano sim from one of the providers that will allow me to use data. Don't need text or voice - just purely data. Am I right in thinking I could get a data only sim for use in iPad mini as it is same sim size? Any help much appreciated and costs too. Also I'm assuming that my UK iPhone will work in the US ok?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

3. jawad7 thread starter macrumors member

I saw this article earlier - thanks for sharing.

Do you know if I can use an iPad Mini sim card just for data in my iPhone 5? Hoping that will be cheaper as don't need talk or text.

Any idea of cost of this? Thanks so much.

4. pennbank macrumors member

If not tmobile usa as suggested
    then
    Nearly everywhere has free wifi.
    Get a UK PAYG nano sim (free) (Vodaphone and top it up before leaving)
    That way you do not come home to frightening bills.

5. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Tmobile has a $30 plan that gives you 5GB of 4G data and 100 minutes of talk i assume you probably wont use at all as well as unlimited text.

Only drawback is that it requires online activation, meaning you can't do it in a store. But if you buy a micro SIM activation kit you can cut it to a nano size. TMobile sim activation kits are available at most walmarts and targets. Tmobile stores should sell those too, but im not 100% sure.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

You can possibly order the Nano Sim activation kit and have it delivered to whatever hotel you are staying at too. Otherwise if you go into a Tmobile store the only options you have is the $50/$60/$70 plan -> 500mb/2.5gb/unlimited data.

If your iPhone 5 supports the same LTE bands as Tmobile, you'll get LTE. It will be the AWS band #4. If not, then HSPA+ will work reliably well.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

If you will be going back there regularly/semi-regularly, it might be worth you getting a wireless hotspot device on PAYG. I bought a Verizon one on a recent trip to NYC, it worked really well and I could connect all my devices, use FaceTime etc. buying the device and the credit was cheaper than buying hotel internet and I could take it everywhere.