Travelling to USA, Best Free SatNav

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scoobdriver, Mar 13, 2012.

1. scoobdriver macrumors member

HI Guys,
    I'm visiting the states soon, Iv'e hooked myself up with a $3 a day unlimited 3G plan on Tmobile for my iphone 4s , and i'm looking for advice on the best free US satnav app.
    I have a US itunes account. I'll be mostly travelling around southern California. Starting San Diego .

Cheers

2. ap3604, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. scoobdriver thread starter macrumors member

Awesome thanks.. I have Waze here in the UK, I will check Mapquest Out..
    Thanks !

4. satchow macrumors 6502

Waze is the best free one. I have the paid/expensive Garmin and TomTom apps, but I still use Waze.
    I'm just worried about the T-Mobile plan. In the US, an iPhone 4s will run on Edge not 3G due to incompatible bands. In this case will Edge be fast enough to stream the maps? I don't think there are any free GPS apps that download all the maps for offline navigation. Might want to take a look into CoPilot Live for that. It's cheap for a GPS app, $4.99 I believe.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Never assume that your preferences are universal. Clearly define what your criteria for "best" are. It's a highly subjective word. What features are must-haves? What's not? The more info you provide the better your feedback.

Depends on the app. Streaming nav apps existed well before 3G and I used them just fine for years and thousands of miles across the US.

6. satchow macrumors 6502

In this case, we are talking about Waze.