travelstar 7k500 in my MBP makes noise in vertical position

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Apr 3, 2010.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I recently replaced the hdd in my 13" MBP with a travelstar 7k500. It's fantastic: quiet, cool, fast, energy efficient. Really happy.

However, I did noticed yesterday when I was moving my laptop with the body at an 80 degree angle to the floor that the drive makes a strange noise that I haven't heard in other drives. It sounds almost strained. it's only at that angle - if it's completely vertical the drive is silent again.

I doubt this is anything to worry about, but I'm curious what is actually happening and whether there is something I can do about it? Anybody else with this drive have the same experience?

P

2. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Interestingly, I reset the PRAM and did some cleaning out with tinkertool system and now it's not making noise anymore. Cool! don't know if that did it, or if something that was misaligned has shifted slightly, but I'm glad it's gone.

Update: the noise is back. Oh well...it's not like I carry my MBP open with the body vertical very frequently.

3. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

HDDs are generally recommended to be either horizontal or vertical by manufacturers. Found it out when installing a carputer in a mates van.

4. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

That's good to know. I would assume that a laptop drive would be able to handle many different angles, but I'm going to go check the specs to see.

This is what I found:

"The drive will operate in all axes (six directions) and will stay within the specified error rates when tilted ±5 degrees from these positions. Performance and error rate will stay within specification limits if the drive is operated in the other permissible orientations from which it was formatted. Thus a drive formatted in a horizontal orientation will be able to run vertically and vice versa."

So it looks like it would be okay, but of course the sound only comes when it's slightly less that perpendicular to the ground. When it's completely vertical there's no noise. So I'll keep it either horizontal or vertical and will be careful in between...simple enough.

Update: I started listening carefully, putting my ear to the surfacewhen I tilted the computer and found that it's the fan that is making sounds, not the hard drive! Sorry.