Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

United States Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin today visited Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple Park, according to an image shared on Twitter by Mnuchin.

In his tweet, Mnuchin thanked Tim Cook for Apple's commitment to invest $350 billion in the United States, which refers to a January announcement from Apple where the company said it planned to bolster the U.S. economy through job creation, existing investments, and new investments.

appletimcookmnuchin-800x508.jpg

Glad to visit @Apple HQ with @tim_cook. Thank you for your commitment to invest 350B in USA! #TaxCutsJobsAct pic.twitter.com/TasRA55smG - Steven Mnuchin (@stevenmnuchin1) March 16, 2018

Apple said it will contribute $55 billion to the economy in 2018 and $350 billion over the course of five years. At the same time, Apple also pledged to increase its Advanced Manufacturing Fund, designed to create jobs in the U.S. through investments in suppliers, to $5 billion, up from $1 billion.

Mnuchin's visit to Apple Park comes just a few days after Tim Cook was spotted at Capitol Hill meeting with senators Mark Warren (D-VA) and Richard Burr (R-NC).

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin Visits Apple Park

Reactions: 341328

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Ah that's why no Mac Mini update! they will assemble the new generation in the US, gotcha.

Reactions: fairuz

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Ok, good start that Apple is building in the US. I'd also like to see across the board tax cuts along with banning the selective lowering of tax rates for certain large corps. It's very corrupt, and it's unfair to smaller companies because only Apple et al get cities and states to hand them tax credits to influence where they build. Tax everyone the same, and tax them less so they don't go to China.

Oh well, at least this tells California to wake the heck up. I love seeing Hollywood move to The South but cry at the same time. (Though Apple Park is in CA, most of these big projects end up being in some state that gives them a special deal.)

Last edited:
Reactions: modemthug

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I sure hope he didn’t walk into one of those glass walls and lacerate his smug face. That sure would be a shame.

I still don't get people who walk into glass walls! I mean I can understand birds or animals who have no concept of glass walls but humans? Humans were introduced to glass back on 4000 BC! They should be well adapted to it by now.

Reactions: David G.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I still don't get people who walk into glass walls! I mean I can understand birds or animals who have no concept of glass walls but humans? Humans were introduced to glass back on 4000 BC! They should be well adapted to it by now.

What Mechanism of evolution would you imagine could grant humans that ability in a mere 200 generations? Before you answer, consider how many actual generations it has been since it was possible to walk into a glass wall without seeing it.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
For the record, Apple never committed to invest $350B in anything. That figure is a projection for their overall contribution to the US GDP, not direct investment, and includes revenue for my Apple Music membership. Details matter.

For the record "Apple’s direct contribution to the US economy will be more than $350 billion over the next five years, not including Apple’s ongoing tax payments, the tax revenues generated from employees’ wages and the sale of Apple products." So, yes Apple is going to contribute about a half a trillion dollars to the economy in the next five years and does include direct investments. Thanks to the tax reform, 42 billion alone will be going directly into the US Treasury. Hundreds of billions more will be put in the pocket books of their employees and contractors to spend and invest in the US economy. The tax reform program is undeniably putting trillions into our economy.

Reactions: raybo

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
For the record "Apple’s direct contribution to the US economy will be more than $350 billion over the next five years, not including Apple’s ongoing tax payments, the tax revenues generated from employees’ wages and the sale of Apple products." So, yes Apple is going to contribute about a half a trillion dollars to the economy in the next five years and does include direct investments. Thanks to the tax reform, 42 billion alone will be going directly into the US Treasury. Hundreds of billions more will be put in the pocket books of their employees and contractors to spend and invest in the US economy. The tax reform program is undeniably putting trillions into our economy.
LMAO!!! It’s all going on the national credit card called the deficit. Please share some of your kool-aid with the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
You’re making the mistake of confusing economic contribution with investment. Contribution, as I said, includes consumer spending when you buy an Apple product. That’s not investment by any economist’s imagination. Investment is something like building a data center or an Apple Store, defined as spending money with the expectation of a return. They’re doing that too, but not to the tune of $350 billion.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

United States Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin today visited Apple CEO Tim Cook at Apple Park, according to an image shared on Twitter by Mnuchin.

In his tweet, Mnuchin thanked Tim Cook for Apple's commitment to invest $350 billion in the United States, which refers to a January announcement from Apple where the company said it planned to bolster the U.S. economy through job creation, existing investments, and new investments.

appletimcookmnuchin-800x508.jpg

Apple said it will contribute $55 billion to the economy in 2018 and $350 billion over the course of five years. At the same time, Apple also pledged to increase its Advanced Manufacturing Fund, designed to create jobs in the U.S. through investments in suppliers, to $5 billion, up from $1 billion.

Mnuchin's visit to Apple Park comes just a few days after Tim Cook was spotted at Capitol Hill meeting with senators Mark Warren (D-VA) and Richard Burr (R-NC).

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin Visits Apple Park

The senator from Virginia's name is Mark Warner, not Warren.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
LMAO!!! It’s all going on the national credit card called the deficit. Please share some of your kool-aid with the rest of us.

Your blinded by your hatred, so sad what so many have become. Tim Cook and Apple bringing overseas cash to the US and paying $42 BILLION dollars to the American treasury reduces, not adds to the deficit. It's not too late to take the veil of animosity and hatred from your eyes.
[doublepost=1521322125][/doublepost]
You’re making the mistake of confusing economic contribution with investment. Contribution, as I said, includes consumer spending when you buy an Apple product. That’s not investment by any economist’s imagination. Investment is something like building a data center or an Apple Store, defined as spending money with the expectation of a return. They’re doing that too, but not to the tune of $350 billion.

No, you'r making the mistake of not reading carefully. I very clearly said they were "contributing," not investing. It's not clear, but you seem to be trying to downplay the enormous benefits of the trillions being added to the American economy, not to mention the multiplier effects.

Reactions: raybo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.