Treat Confederate Idolizers Like Neo Nazis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Sep 20, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

In Germany, nazism is illegal.

America should treat confederate idolizers like Germany treats nazis. That is to say, illegal.

Nazi and confederate speech should not be protected by law. Slippery slope arguments in response to this notion are predictable.

Defend to the death something of value. Not confederate or Nazi speech.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm glad you are not in any position of authority here in the US.

3. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

4. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Why do free speech fanatics never go to Germany and defend to the death some Nazis right to free speech.

Filed under things I knew already.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

yeah, get rid of the ACLU while you are at it:rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    could be because we don't care about Germany

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Because I'm not a German citizen. Germany, like all countries, is free to make their own laws. If they want to outlaw Nazis, fine by me.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because Nazi symbols and speech are against the law in Germany and WE RESPECT THEIR FRIGGIN LAWS. What a concept eh?

8. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Nazism is totally different than the confederates. Nazism still believes in racial purity, while confederate soldiers are tied to history and not an ideology as which nazism is still all about to this day.

Another way to try to shut up an opposing opinion. Glad we still have freedom of speech which is protected.

9. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

We do.

Speech.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I would be ok with keeping all confederate monuments in place as long as we add a big plaque that reads:

[Name of whoever the statue is of] fought against the United States of America, and lost, for the right to buy and sell human beings, and to steal the lives, labor, and liberty of human beings. The Unites States of America is a better place today because [name] lost.​

11. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

So mostly on topic here: why are Confederate ideals "better" and more acceptable than Nazi ones? I mean they are both pretty despicable in my opinion.

12. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Nazism is different form confederatism but they are approximately equal when it comes to moral repugnance.

Your assertion that confederate values has nothing to do with racial purity is ignorant. Your just another conservative who wants to preserve the reputation of the evil confederacy. The anti Semitism and racism of confederates is identical to nazis. There are plenty of similarities.

Google image confederate flag Nazi flag. What is your explanation for why confederate idolizers love to fly the Nazi flag? Confederate idolizers disgust me. Idolizing a racist evil former nation which warred against the union. Just despicable.

13. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

And, approximately equal in deserving to be protected by the first amendment, as is most speech.

14. 0007776 Suspended

Free speech is something of value, and once you start restricting it anything can be restricted if it becomes unpopular. Germany does not have a constitutional guarantee of free speech.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you miss the forest for the trees, it has NOTHING to do with "ideals" and everything to do with RIGHTS. some of you share the same views as Saudi Arabia does when banning women from driving, it's based on nothing more than your feelings.

16. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Indeed they don’t. And I Like Germany’s lack of tolerance for Nazi speech.

slippery slope fallacy

17. 0007776 Suspended

Just wait until that lack of tolerance comes around for something you believe in and then you might start to understand why we should protect the free speech rights of even the most repugnant groups.

18. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Slippery slope logical fallacy.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

fallacy is all yours , our GOVT already went full retard with warrant-less spying on the citizens .

20. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

I like tigers- statement deserves protecting.

I wish hitler has killed all the Jews, black people are inferior to white people, the confederacy wasn’t evil— none of this deserves legal protection. Egregious notions don’t deserve protections.
    Unsure how this is relevant to confederate speech.

21. 0007776 Suspended

Keep deflecting, just because one thing opens the door to another does not always mean that pointing it out is a logical fallacy.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

who determines what is egregious??
    should these people be jailed?

how about Muslims who are extremist in America? jail them too?

23. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Nazi speech is not of value. Neither is confederate idolization speech. I challenge you to explain why nazi speech should he defended without devolving into a slippery slope argument.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/why-we-must-defend-free-speech
    there you go. follow link and perhaps you could learn a thing or 2

25. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

It absolutely is a logical fallacy, and you appear to know that to be true.. you just don’t like it.
    I disagree with the aclu. It is my view that speech supporting regimes which warred against the United States of America, and are egregiously evil, should not be legal. That means Nazis and confederates.
    Slippery slope argument. I am for jailing Nazis and confederate idolizers. That you took this to mean I want to jail other Americans is prettt basic slippery slope fallacy.