Trial Begins for Man Charged With Murdering 19-Year-Old Renisha McBride

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Another case of self defense or an idiot with a gun?
Theodore Wafer, 54, is charged with second degree murder, manslaughter and committing a felony with a firearm for the fatal shooting of Renisha McBride, who showed up on his porch hours after being involved in a car accident, according to Wayne County prosecutor, Kym Worthy.

The case has drawn attention from civil rights groups and protesters who are likening the case to that of George Zimmerman, who shot and killed Trayvon Martin in what he and his lawyers argued was self defense.
Zimmerman was found not guilty of murder, but McBride's family said she was the victim of a brutal crime. "It's a murder, and its a horrible murder," McBride's mother, Monica McBride, said.

McBride crashed her car while driving with a blood alcohol level that was nearly three times the legal driving limit in the state of Michigan, police said after her death. She was disoriented and bloodied, and banging on Wafer's front door.

Wafer said he felt threatened and shot through the locked screen door, but did not intend to kill McBride.

"My client has a very strong defense of this charge. The likelihood of conviction is not that great," said Mack Carpenter, one of Wafer's defense attorneys.

Wafer’s attorneys have not characterized the incident as a "stand your ground" case, according to The Detroit News, but they will argue he was afraid of what he heard on his front porch at 4:30 a.m. on Nov. 2.

McBride's mother said her daughter was just looking for help after suffering a crash. "I can't imagine in my wildest dreams of what that man feared from her to shoot her in her face," she said.

Self-defense may be a hard defense to argue, said Lisa Bloom, a legal analyst for NBC News. "This is certainly an unusual self-defense case because Theodore Wafer was in his own home. The door was locked," Bloom said.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trial-begins-man-charged-murdering-19-year-old-renisha-mcbride-n160676

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
At the very least it seems like he was irresponsible and negligent.

I'm sure more details will come out during the trial, but these stood out the most to me (and weren't in the OP):

The shot that killed McBride showed “no evidence of close range discharge,” according to a report released by the Wayne County Medical Examiner in November.
The defense will likely be forced to call Wafer to the stand to spell out why he felt threatened, but he admitted during the 911 call that he shot someone who was asking for help, Bloom said.
Whatever the outcome, it's a tragedy all around.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
At the very least it seems like he was irresponsible and negligent.

I'm sure more details will come out during the trial, but these stood out the most to me (and weren't in the OP):

Whatever the outcome, it's a tragedy all around.
The biggest tragedy is the lawlessness when it comes to gun ownership.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Love how they try to make a connection to the Martin-Zimmerman case. Other then the self-defense aspect of it that Wafer is claiming I don't see anywhere in the article that McBride was on top of Wafer bashing his head in.

BTW I'm not buying Wafer story. If he felt that threatened why did he open the door in the first place? Why didn't he call the police first and secured himself in a room in the house till the police arrived if he felt that threatened. I can't see how this guy won't get convicted of something.

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
It's Detroit, after dark. Who knows what happened.
First of all, it was in Dearborn Heights, not Detroit. Second, if you haven't been to Detroit, or spent a decent amount of time there I'd appreciate it if you try not to sound so insulting to the city when you post about it. Not trying to be confrontational about it, but you seem to have a jaded view of Detroit and I'm not sure why. Yes we have our problems, but the surrounding suburbs are pretty nice actually. I would know as I grew up in one of them.

Back on topic, I doubt this guy is going to be convicted. He was irresponsible, but what jury would convict this guy after he says that he heard a sound at 4:30am and was frightened? And of course the victim was black.

Renzatic

Suspended
Back on topic, I doubt this guy is going to be convicted. He was irresponsible, but what jury would convict this guy after he says that he heard a sound at 4:30am and was frightened? And of course the victim was black.
The woman was drunk, and she knocked on the door during the creepiest hours before the dawn. The guy had every right to be more than a little worried. But he was never in any direct danger, and you can't legally kill someone as a precautionary measure. He'll get manslaughter.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
First of all, it was in Dearborn Heights, not Detroit. Second, if you haven't been to Detroit, or spent a decent amount of time there I'd appreciate it if you try not to sound so insulting to the city when you post about it. Not trying to be confrontational about it, but you seem to have a jaded view of Detroit and I'm not sure why. Yes we have our problems, but the surrounding suburbs are pretty nice actually. I would know as I grew up in one of them.

I hate to break it to you but the city is a ****hole. I'm from Akron. I've been to Detroit many times. It continues to go downhill. Not long ago, I went to Ann Arbor. While driving through Detroit, I realized why it is so dark… They can't even maintain the street lights.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Love how they try to make a connection to the Martin-Zimmerman case. Other then the self-defense aspect of it that Wafer is claiming I don't see anywhere in the article that McBride was on top of Wafer bashing his head in.

BTW I'm not buying Wafer story. If he felt that threatened why did he open the door in the first place? Why didn't he call the police first and secured himself in a room in the house till the police arrived if he felt that threatened. I can't see how this guy won't get convicted of something.
Well, there’s the racial angle as well, but anyway, yeah, I agree with the confusing details of the story. I’m assuming if the house had a “screen door” on the front, it had an inner solid door[?] So he opened the inner door, saw McBride, and then instead of closing the door (again speculation on my part about the doors), he fired through the screen door?

Plus, isn’t there some weird timing logistics from when the crash happened to when she came to his door? And there was a witness at the crash scene (that indicated her demeanor wasn’t “combative”) so she just wondered off from the crash scene?

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009
I hate to break it to you but the city is a ****hole. I'm from Akron. I've been to Detroit many times. It continues to go downhill. Not long ago, I went to Ann Arbor. While driving through Detroit, I realized why it is so dark… They can't even maintain the street lights.
Surrounding downtown, I might agree with you. But downtown is making a comeback. And the suburbs? Night and day difference compared to Detroit. Ann Arbor is great I've been there a bunch of times, although I wouldn't consider it a suburb of Detroit.

Also I'm curious as to "how" you drove through Detroit on your way to Ann Arbor as it's not necessary. Unless you purposely drove through Detroit and then turned around to go back to Ann Arbor which doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
Surrounding downtown, I might agree with you. But downtown is making a comeback. And the suburbs? Night and day difference compared to Detroit. Ann Arbor is great I've been there a bunch of times, although I wouldn't consider it a suburb of Detroit.

Also I'm curious as to "how" you drove through Detroit on your way to Ann Arbor as it's not necessary. Unless you purposely drove through Detroit and then turned around to go back to Ann Arbor which doesn't seem too unreasonable.
We were meeting at a restaurant on Washington Avenue for dinner.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The biggest tragedy is the lawlessness when it comes to gun ownership.
Detroit, 4:30 AM & your door being pounded in.

----------

from link
Detroit-area porch shooter convicted of murder
guy got convicted.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The guy admitted to shooting her but not intending to harm her? How do you shoot at a person at your front door but not intend to harm them? Lets say it was self defense, not the best thought process. I think the verdict is correct.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
The guy admitted to shooting her but not intending to harm her? How do you shoot at a person at your front door but not intend to harm them? Lets say it was self defense, not the best thought process. I think the verdict is correct.
from your link
Wafer said he felt threatened and shot through the locked screen door, but did not intend to kill McBride.

he shot that killed McBride showed “no evidence of close range discharge,”
warning shot?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

----------

from link

guy got convicted.
Anywhere within 30 minutes of any direction of Detroit is called Detroit-area. It's the Detroit Metro area for a reason. :rolleyes: I live smack dab between Detroit and Ann Arbor and I'm in the "Detroit area" if I made the news.

Here's some gross generalizations for you: Dearborn Heights is primarily white blue collar suburbia. Then (West) Dearborn is white. Then (East) Dearborn is Arabic. And then you get to the fringe of the fringe of Detroit.

That's a fair bit of land to cover before you get into Detroit. Look at a map.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Anywhere within 30 minutes of any direction of Detroit is called Detroit-area. It's the Detroit Metro area for a reason. :rolleyes: I live smack dab between Detroit and Ann Arbor and I'm in the "Detroit area" if I made the news.

Here's some gross generalizations for you: Dearborn Heights is primarily white blue collar suburbia. Then (West) Dearborn is white. Then (East) Dearborn is Arabic. And then you get to the fringe of the fringe of Detroit.

That's a fair bit of land to cover before you get into Detroit. Look at a map.
So there is never ANY CRIME there?

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
from your link

he shot that killed McBride showed “no evidence of close range discharge,”
warning shot?
From the autopsy report ...

There was a 3.5 inch x 2 inch irregular entrance shotgun wound on the face, centered 6 inches below the top of the head and 1 inch left of the midline.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/link/667909/renisha-mcbride-autopsy-report-released
Warning shot?

No.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
From the autopsy report ...

Warning shot?

No.
4:30 at. Not yet daylight. Only he knows what he saw. As noted above warming shot might be illegal in some states. I personally don't care. I might do a warming shot to a SAFE area just in case perp turns out to be nothing more than a confused drunk.

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Jun 3, 2009

----------

from link

guy got convicted.
I know what the article said. Detroit-area does not equal Detroit. The places around Detroit do not share the same reputation as the city of Detroit.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
4:30 at. Not yet daylight. Only he knows what he saw. As noted above warming shot might be illegal in some states. I personally don't care. I might do a warming shot to a SAFE area just in case perp turns out to be nothing more than a confused drunk.
Do you think you'd aim your warning shot in the middle of their head?

At that point, don't you think it ceases to be a "warning" shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.