Trial Begins for Man Charged With Murdering 19-Year-Old Renisha McBride

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Another case of self defense or an idiot with a gun?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...murdering-19-year-old-renisha-mcbride-n160676

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

At the very least it seems like he was irresponsible and negligent.

I'm sure more details will come out during the trial, but these stood out the most to me (and weren't in the OP):

Whatever the outcome, it's a tragedy all around.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The biggest tragedy is the lawlessness when it comes to gun ownership.

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's Detroit, after dark. Who knows what happened.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Depending on evidence it could go either way, her driving while intoxicated surely isn't going to help the case.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Love how they try to make a connection to the Martin-Zimmerman case. Other then the self-defense aspect of it that Wafer is claiming I don't see anywhere in the article that McBride was on top of Wafer bashing his head in.

BTW I'm not buying Wafer story. If he felt that threatened why did he open the door in the first place? Why didn't he call the police first and secured himself in a room in the house till the police arrived if he felt that threatened. I can't see how this guy won't get convicted of something.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

First of all, it was in Dearborn Heights, not Detroit. Second, if you haven't been to Detroit, or spent a decent amount of time there I'd appreciate it if you try not to sound so insulting to the city when you post about it. Not trying to be confrontational about it, but you seem to have a jaded view of Detroit and I'm not sure why. Yes we have our problems, but the surrounding suburbs are pretty nice actually. I would know as I grew up in one of them.

Back on topic, I doubt this guy is going to be convicted. He was irresponsible, but what jury would convict this guy after he says that he heard a sound at 4:30am and was frightened? And of course the victim was black.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The woman was drunk, and she knocked on the door during the creepiest hours before the dawn. The guy had every right to be more than a little worried. But he was never in any direct danger, and you can't legally kill someone as a precautionary measure. He'll get manslaughter.

9. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I hate to break it to you but the city is a ****hole. I'm from Akron. I've been to Detroit many times. It continues to go downhill. Not long ago, I went to Ann Arbor. While driving through Detroit, I realized why it is so dark… They can't even maintain the street lights.

10. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Well, there’s the racial angle as well, but anyway, yeah, I agree with the confusing details of the story. I’m assuming if the house had a “screen door” on the front, it had an inner solid door[?] So he opened the inner door, saw McBride, and then instead of closing the door (again speculation on my part about the doors), he fired through the screen door?

Plus, isn’t there some weird timing logistics from when the crash happened to when she came to his door? And there was a witness at the crash scene (that indicated her demeanor wasn’t “combative”) so she just wondered off from the crash scene?

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Surrounding downtown, I might agree with you. But downtown is making a comeback. And the suburbs? Night and day difference compared to Detroit. Ann Arbor is great I've been there a bunch of times, although I wouldn't consider it a suburb of Detroit.

Also I'm curious as to "how" you drove through Detroit on your way to Ann Arbor as it's not necessary. Unless you purposely drove through Detroit and then turned around to go back to Ann Arbor which doesn't seem too unreasonable.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We were meeting at a restaurant on Washington Avenue for dinner.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Detroit, 4:30 AM & your door being pounded in.

----------

from link
    guy got convicted.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The guy admitted to shooting her but not intending to harm her? How do you shoot at a person at your front door but not intend to harm them? Lets say it was self defense, not the best thought process. I think the verdict is correct.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from your link
    warning shot?

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

A warning shot into the door she is standing?

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

19. malman89 macrumors 68000

Anywhere within 30 minutes of any direction of Detroit is called Detroit-area. It's the Detroit Metro area for a reason. :rolleyes: I live smack dab between Detroit and Ann Arbor and I'm in the "Detroit area" if I made the news.

Here's some gross generalizations for you: Dearborn Heights is primarily white blue collar suburbia. Then (West) Dearborn is white. Then (East) Dearborn is Arabic. And then you get to the fringe of the fringe of Detroit.

That's a fair bit of land to cover before you get into Detroit. Look at a map.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So there is never ANY CRIME there?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the autopsy report ...

Warning shot?

No.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

4:30 at. Not yet daylight. Only he knows what he saw. As noted above warming shot might be illegal in some states. I personally don't care. I might do a warming shot to a SAFE area just in case perp turns out to be nothing more than a confused drunk.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I know what the article said. Detroit-area does not equal Detroit. The places around Detroit do not share the same reputation as the city of Detroit.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Do you think you'd aim your warning shot in the middle of their head?

At that point, don't you think it ceases to be a "warning" shot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.