Trick for getting synced movies on iPhone into iMovie on iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andsoitgoes, Mar 13, 2011.

1. andsoitgoes macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is the right place, so please move it if it is not :)

on with things. I was trying to fiddle with iMovie today on my iPad 2, but I realized that the movies I had on it can't be imported for editing. I couldn't figure out why, until I read that they have to be in the camera roll for them to work.

If you want to edit videos from your iPhone you can, but only if they are A) ON the iPhone and B) In the iPhone camera roll. You connect your iPhone via the camera connection kit and you can import the videos that way.

Now, I was especially peeved because I JUST moved all the videos off of my iPhone, as I wanted to save some space. I was banging my head against the wall, thinking there was no way to get it back. And then a light bulb appeared. I had a House moment. However you want to say it.

First, for this to work you need an iPhone that is Jailbroken and you need a copy of iFile.

I loaded up iFile and decided I'd try to move the files into the Camera file directory, in hopes that it would get it to appear. But the process didn't seem to work okay, and I searched through to check permissions and see if something got screwed up, but everything was the same.

Then I scrolled a bit further into the file properties and at the bottom, I found the answer to life, the universe and the ability to import videos for editing into iMovie...

"Add to Camera Roll"

WTF?? That couldn't work. COuld it?

Yep, it could. I had my iPhone connected as I was doing it and, as I was doing it, I saw them appearing on my iPad for importing.

So they imported quite nicely and I was able to delete them after import. But would they work in iMovie?

Loaded it up and bing, bang, BOOM it worked PERFECTLY!!

So, in theory, ANY file that is able to be sync'd to your iDevice can be added to the camera roll. I haven't tested it out with any other files, but I will.

I'm quite happy about this. Sure, it takes having a jail broken iPhone (or possibly and iPad) but it's better than nothing!

Here's hoping they'll have an easier way of importing videos going forward, but at least this allows me to import converted videos in a sort of round-about hacked sort of way.

I can't wait for the jailbreak to 4.3 Then all it takes is having them on the iPad and tada!

Hope this helps!

Nick

2. No1up macrumors regular

I might have to get back with you on this when the jailbreak for 4.3 is out...

3. andsoitgoes thread starter macrumors member

Would make life so much easier if we could do it all from the iPad. I'll try transferring a movie to my iPhone later tonight and see if I can save it to the camera roll. It might have to be a .MOV file though.

4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

+1

iFile is like God to the iPad. Sheds Light