Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
As most of us are aware, if you have unlimited data and use the upgrade on your line with Verizon, your unlimited data is gone forever.

How about this to circumvent it?

1. Sister has nearly broken iPhone 4 with unlimited data. She wouldn't mind losing her unlimited data for an upgrade to a 4S.
2. I have a 4S with unlimited data. I wouldn't trade the unlimited data for the world (almost). I also want the 5 and am willing to give her my 4S in exchange for her upgrade pricing.

Could we do this?
1. She upgrades her 4 to the 5, and thus loses her unlimited data.
2. I give her my 4S as a gift.
3. She gives me her 5 and I pay her for the upgrade.
4. We go into the Verizon store to put my phone number on the 5 and hers on my old 4S.

END RESULT: She finally has an upgraded and working iPhone but with limited data, and I have a 5 with unlimited data. We are both happy.

Will this work?

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
As most of us are aware, if you have unlimited data and use the upgrade on your line with Verizon, your unlimited data is gone forever.

How about this to circumvent it?

1. Sister has nearly broken iPhone 4 with unlimited data. She wouldn't mind losing her unlimited data for an upgrade to a 4S.
2. I have a 4S with unlimited data. I wouldn't trade the unlimited data for the world (almost). I also want the 5 and am willing to give her my 4S in exchange for her upgrade pricing.

Could we do this?
1. She upgrades her 4 to the 5, and thus loses her unlimited data.
2. I give her my 4S as a gift.
3. She gives me her 5 and I pay her for the upgrade.
4. We go into the Verizon store to put my phone number on the 5 and hers on my old 4S.

END RESULT: She finally has an upgraded and working iPhone but with limited data, and I have a 5 with unlimited data. We are both happy.

Will this work?

Yes.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
As said here 389 times in the past 48 hours, you can do phone swaps all day long.

Upgrade the phone that has the upgrade coming, and everybody is happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.