Tricking iMovie '08 to install on 1.8GHz G5

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
One needs at least a 1.9GHz iMac G5 to run iMovie '08... but I have a 1.8GHz. Apparently I won't be able to install it. I assume the performance drop-off won't be too bad given the narrow difference, so I'd like to trick the installer into installing it. Does anyone know how to do this?

I can't justify buying iLife '08 if I can't use the new iMovie (alongside the old)... is there any way?

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Don't worry - I was in the same position (iMac G5 1.8Ghz) and I installed the full iLife suite earlier today. iMovie runs with no problems (albeit it gets a little sluggish when doing complicated stuff). You don't have to worry about "tricking" it in order to install.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Wow My Bad For Telling Hyperpasta It Wouldn't Work

My apologies to you Hyperpasta. That is so weird and so unfair and just plain WRONG for Apple to publish incorrect minimum speed out there. That truely blows as there are many single 1.8GHz G5 PowerMacs out there in the universe that Apple created in the first place.

PS I think this thread would have done better placed in the "Digital Video" area inside the Special Interests section below the Apple Software section. Thanks a lot doowrehs. Good news and only logical that it should have worked. Why they chose to say 1.9GHz or faster knowing all the single processor G5 PowerMacs are 1.8GHz, not to mention a lot of iMacs too, is hard to fathom. Apple is getting harder and harder to understand each day.

doowrehs

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Yes, it does seem a bit strange for Apple to set the minimum requirements where they are. I suppose it could be a typo - although more likely it's a subtle attempt to "encourage" people to upgrade their machines. Still, having played around with the new iMovie a little, everything seems fine here (except for the lack of a timeline and effects - what happened Apple??!).

apodacainc

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
Washington, D.C.
iMovie on G5

I successfully installed it on my early adopted G5 1.6ghz! So far so good!

One needs at least a 1.9GHz iMac G5 to run iMovie '08... but I have a 1.8GHz. Apparently I won't be able to install it. I assume the performance drop-off won't be too bad given the narrow difference, so I'd like to trick the installer into installing it. Does anyone know how to do this?

I can't justify buying iLife '08 if I can't use the new iMovie (alongside the old)... is there any way?

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
I don't know about on Mac, but in the Windows world cpu speed minimum requirements rarely if ever have anything to do with preventing an install. They are there simply to say that it won't (or might not) perform well.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
UK
Don't worry - I was in the same position (iMac G5 1.8Ghz) and I installed the full iLife suite earlier today. iMovie runs with no problems (albeit it gets a little sluggish when doing complicated stuff). You don't have to worry about "tricking" it in order to install.
All still going okay doowrehs? I was kindly linked to this post with the exact same problem myself. I'm now stood by the door with my coat on, wallet in-hand!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I run it on my 1.8 single G5 but seam to get movie drop outs every now and then which is annoying, 3 gig of Ram, any ideas?

I can swipe the mouse through clips just fine, no performance issues there though and everything else seams to run fine.