Tricking iMovie '08 to install on 1.8GHz G5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hyperpasta, Aug 9, 2007.

1. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

One needs at least a 1.9GHz iMac G5 to run iMovie '08... but I have a 1.8GHz. Apparently I won't be able to install it. I assume the performance drop-off won't be too bad given the narrow difference, so I'd like to trick the installer into installing it. Does anyone know how to do this?

I can't justify buying iLife '08 if I can't use the new iMovie (alongside the old)... is there any way?

2. doowrehs macrumors regular

Don't worry - I was in the same position (iMac G5 1.8Ghz) and I installed the full iLife suite earlier today. iMovie runs with no problems (albeit it gets a little sluggish when doing complicated stuff). You don't have to worry about "tricking" it in order to install.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wow My Bad For Telling Hyperpasta It Wouldn't Work

My apologies to you Hyperpasta. That is so weird and so unfair and just plain WRONG for Apple to publish incorrect minimum speed out there. That truely blows as there are many single 1.8GHz G5 PowerMacs out there in the universe that Apple created in the first place.

PS I think this thread would have done better placed in the "Digital Video" area inside the Special Interests section below the Apple Software section. Thanks a lot doowrehs. Good news and only logical that it should have worked. Why they chose to say 1.9GHz or faster knowing all the single processor G5 PowerMacs are 1.8GHz, not to mention a lot of iMacs too, is hard to fathom. Apple is getting harder and harder to understand each day.

4. hyperpasta thread starter macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Oh, don't mention it. I appreciate that you took the time to answer. It is very odd that they lie about the minimum speed.

5. doowrehs macrumors regular

Yes, it does seem a bit strange for Apple to set the minimum requirements where they are. I suppose it could be a typo - although more likely it's a subtle attempt to "encourage" people to upgrade their machines. Still, having played around with the new iMovie a little, everything seems fine here (except for the lack of a timeline and effects - what happened Apple??!).

6. apodacainc macrumors newbie

iMovie on G5

I successfully installed it on my early adopted G5 1.6ghz! So far so good!

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't know about on Mac, but in the Windows world cpu speed minimum requirements rarely if ever have anything to do with preventing an install. They are there simply to say that it won't (or might not) perform well.

8. hirsthirst macrumors regular

hirsthirst

All still going okay doowrehs? I was kindly linked to this post with the exact same problem myself. I'm now stood by the door with my coat on, wallet in-hand!

9. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I run it on my 1.8 single G5 but seam to get movie drop outs every now and then which is annoying, 3 gig of Ram, any ideas?

I can swipe the mouse through clips just fine, no performance issues there though and everything else seams to run fine.