Trickle down, shake, shake

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Back to this nonsense again, eh? Because there can be such a thing as too much profit? Because the executives will not be able to imagine how many more lobbyists/congresscritters they will be able to afford?

Yeah, I am doubting Cramer's reasoning, and even beginning to wonder why anyone would still be listening to him.

2. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

My employer reported record quarterly profits during 2014 while not allowing for the first time in 20+ years carryover of vacation time year over year "to save costs". :mad: Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for a raise of any kind, let alone one I didn't ask for. :rolleyes:

P.S. Cramer's an idiot.

3. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

It cannot be said often enough, Cramer is an idiot.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Give money to the workers? LOLOL

Is he high?

The money will be used for far more important things like executive compensation and foolhardy investments.

Workers get downsized...

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

When asked why we don't get cost of living increase raises from our very profitable company, my boss said its because we get merit increases. Yeah, that 2% merit increase, while the cost of living keeps going up, really helps.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Right, there are plenty of reasons why companies will not be doing any such thing as returning dough to the workers. Start with an overripe market and desire to have a cash pile to weather the next downturn.

I don't know if Cramer's an idiot but I agree that his click-bait offerings should be way past the sell-by date.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Don't really see the issue here, as I'm sure we all can show up resumes/hold jobs were the supply of workers is easily outpaced by the demand...

Or if not you surely are either banker, lawyer or politician or atleast come from a family with good connections.

Otherwise min. wage would be allready twice as much as you deserve and you should be gratefull for what you have !!

8. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Sigh.

Your company is successful because of better sales. Probably their competition is doing better too. Now is the time to grow to remain competitive. Since companies need to keep their good employees and hire new ones to expand, they'll be in a hiring mode. Good employees will be worth more this year than last year (a condition called an "employee's job market").

Smart companies will be paying their people more to keep them from leaving for better salaries elsewhere.

Cramer is right.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

In an ideal world, you'd be absolutely right. Too bad we don't live in an ideal world.

I hope I'm wrong, but recent experience has shown that most wages will remain flat even as corporate profits continue to grow.

10. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Well in the real world those companies will try to grow either by:
    - working the current employees harder
    - outsourcing work to the lowest bidder

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Of course. But that only works in an employer's job market. Discouraging your good people is an excellent way to prod them into looking for a new job.

Outsourcing is so 90s. It cost companies in stolen intellectual property and ticked off customers.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The only way Cramer will be right is if his prediction is fulfilled.

Cramer may be right, but it's too soon to say yet.

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

More balanced commentary; nothing partisan about it.

But, you missed where the topic called his prediction "nonsense". Shouldn't you have said something then?

Or when giantfan and noisycats called Cramer an "idiot"?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Likewise, they should wait for the prediction to come true or not before passing judgement on it.

That may have nothing to do with this specific prediction.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ahem, noisycats only said she didn't know if Cramer was an idiot... :)

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Weird.

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Apologies to you both, I thought you were punning on my screen name and tendency to make noise...

18. TimelessOne macrumors regular

or you do things like what Apple did and got caught. You remove option to jump ship by making illegal agreements with companies to not hire from each other.
    Or overly broad non compete clauses to make it impossible and way to costly to leave.

Sad fact is this is more proof that trickle down does not work. If it did the wages would go up. Instead what we see is the poeple at the top just get more and everyone else gets nothing. So screw giving it to them.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No, it's proof that trickle down does work. Apple and other companies had to engage in wage fixing (thereby breaking the law) to prevent a bidding war for employees.

20. TimelessOne macrumors regular

and you wonder why conservatives are not thought highly off.
    Please show proof of trickle down working. There is tons of proof saying otherwise but you are free to stick your head in the sand and be clueless not my issue.

trickle down does not work. If it did then average wages would be going up. Instead the only group who has seen their real wages grow in 20 years is the people at the top.

Please come back to me when you have some proof instead of the standard conservative heads in the sands BS.
    I do not expect you to provide a real replay just standard conservative BS that will more than likely justify putting you on the ignore list that I expect many have already done. But prove me wrong.

21. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Time to exercise your right to switch companies? :)

That happened to me one to many times so moved on.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Sure, raises for all EXECUTIVES. And the buck stops there.

23. zin macrumors 6502

Um, what?

Apple and other companies break antitrust law to indirectly fix wages, with their profits increasing year after year, and this is an example of how wealth trickles down to the workers?

I don't even think you know what you're writing anymore.

Real wages have been flat for many decades (for the people at the bottom) but not for people at the top. It mostly started when Reagan's corporatist buddies invaded and injected trickle-down theory into economic policy. Year after year over the long term, corporate profits, tax breaks, and subsidies go up and regulations go down.

According to you, this is the perfect mix for all of that wealth to trickle down. I feel like you've been given plenty of time to test it. So where is all this wealth that trickled down?

24. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope. Don't wonder that at all, since Conservatives outnumber Liberals in America by about two to one. Maybe you should change your mouthwash.

Hard to show proof of trickle down working, what with the last five years of the Obama economy:

The gap between the richest and poorest Americans widened even as the U.S. economic recovery gained traction in the years after the recession, the Federal Reserve said.​

America is finally bouncing back in spite of everything Obama has mismanaged. If all goes as expected, this year and next should be perfect for an employee's job market.

----------

Didn't say that. You need to read much more carefully.

And yet I'm not misrepresenting what you write.

Go back and rethink what I posted, then I'll respond more fully

25. zin macrumors 6502

Really? The "Obama economy"? The Obama economy is the same economy that Reagan created. In what ways do you believe the Obama economy are any different to the trickle-down economy that Reagan created? They are both the same in principle.

Hang on just a second. You had a Congress that has failed to pass the budgets and plans that Obama wanted, instead relying on half-assed appropriations legislation, and you're blaming Obama outright for "mismanagement"?

Do you believe the Congress of the United States has no responsibility for the fiscal and economic situation of the United States?

In case you haven't noticed, Obama is still in office. Are you of the opinion that all of the bad economic news can be blamed on Obama but the good economic news can not be attributed to him?

----------

In what way are illegal anticompetitive activities proof that trickle down works? I'm not understanding your post. :confused::confused:

Huh?? I'm not the only one here, right? Engaging in antitrust behaviour by preventing employee poaching is proof that trickle down works? :confused:

Would you like to address the rest of my post, too? The part where the trickle-down theory has been tried and tested for decades and has utterly failed in its objectives?