Tried monthly allowance…much grief

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keepingup, Aug 2, 2014.

1. keepingup, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

keepingup macrumors member

My 22 year old daughter has used my iTunes account since she was 10 to purchase tv shows movies and music. She claims she can't have her own account because she would then not be able to watch all the previous content which is in the cloud on my account. IS THIS TRUE?

Secondly, I want to wean her and thought I could do so by signing her up for a monthly allowance of $50. I assumed it would be arrive for use the way gift cards do. But lo and behold, Apple charged my credit card and when we could not locate any store allowance they said (and keep on repeating in my emails to the Support person) that it was in her account. I keep on telling them she does not have an account.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I really messed this one up.

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

No. I regular watch material across different accounts. The machine must be authorized for the account but other than that there is no limit on accounts you can use. You need to login using the account it was purchased on to download but once you download it you can watch it anytime even if you logout of the account.

Did you check the email address for the account you used for the allowance. You may have sent it to the wrong account. I would call support as well and see what they say; maybe you can cancel the credit and start over.

3. keepingup thread starter macrumors member

update...

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple. They are still looking for the $50--can't find it anywhere. I have canceled the allowance.

However, to wean daughter off my account is a huge problem. I wonder how other parents handle this when their children grow up and are becoming independent. Apple advises me to change my password but first for her to download from Purchased all the content she cares about onto her Macbook Pro. Because after I change password, she will not have access to content she has been buying since she was 10 years old. I laughed because a few months ago she deleted the saved movies and TV series because the computer was slowing down. So in order to not have to spend $2,500 on a new computer…well I guess you get the domino frustration here.

Anybody?????

4. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

With iOS 8 and 10.10 coming in october you can have family sharing on your account, so your daughter can have her own account and you can allow her to download your purchases.

all previous purchases should be available in your iTunes under previous purchases.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If she doesn't have an account, who are you sending the allowance to then? She needs to actually sign up first. I don't think the e-mails go out otherwise... It's been awhile since I used it.

As long as you authorize the content on her computer/device (when you add it to her library, it will open a message asking for the login), it should work, even if she's using a different ID. You'll only ever have to do this once, unless you revoke it, or she resets iTunes.