Tried the 42mm SS and Space Grey Sport and preferred...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by durangojim, Apr 10, 2015.

1. durangojim macrumors member

The Space Grey Sport! I preordered both this morning at 3:02 and had the full intention of canceling the Space Grey because I expected the SS to feel more premium, but after I walked into the Apple Store and was able to try on both (without waiting for an appointment), I was very impressed by the Space Grey. It's much darker than the Space Grey iPhone 6 and the sport band looks and feels great! I could see no difference in screen quality between it and the sapphire screen of the SS. The SS had loads of smudges and didn't give me any kind of premium feeling. I was disappointed by the leather loop and classic buckle strap. They both felt cheap and the loop especially plastic. The Milanese loop did nothing for me either although the magnet was extremely strong. The sport strap however felt great and I had no problem with the strap not fitting to my wrist. I hope some fine 3rd party watch band companies come up with some really nice leather or croc skin bands. Here's some pics with my Rolex. Feel free to ask any other questions.

----------

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iregret macrumors 6502

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Looks good. I still worry about the anodizing though.

4. durangojim thread starter macrumors member

Exactly 185

5. Esexx macrumors 6502

Esexx

I am in the same boat. I pre-ordered the black SS and the grey sport, thinking I would return the sport, but it looks great on your wrist.

Like the comparison with your Rolex. Will look similar to my 16610.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Nice pics! It looks very stealth! I think it's all a matter of personal taste but I am convinced they are all well made and everyone who wants one will find a model that suits their tastes very well. They were wise to not try and foist a one watch look suits all approach and to offer variety within certain reasonable constraints.

7. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

In the lower picture the Rolex watch on the left looks gorgeous.

Please excuse me for asking a stupid question...what is that black thing on the right side?

Oops, I just realized it's what I pre-ordered last night, Hmmm exactly the same.

I guess that'll require I remove my Submariner... :eek:

9. iregret macrumors 6502

Awesome. I ordered the same watch and have the same size wrist. Looks like I ordered the correct size. Thanks for this.

I'm stoked on all the pictures, but wish everyone would include their wrist sizes.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree that sport looks amazing! Too bad at this point it would be fall until you can get one. :(

11. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

The more photos I see of the SG Sport in the wild, the more I know it's the right watch for me.

12. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

I'm in the opposite boat. Didn't really like the aluminum body and thought the SS looked a lot better in person.

13. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Were you surprised like I was how considerably lighter the aluminum one was than the SS?

14. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Now will you feel bad wearing the Apple Watch over the Rolex? Or will you be saving the Rolex for when you dress up a little bit?

15. ivandr macrumors regular

Yes.
    I'm not saying the Stainless Steel felt heavy, it has a nice heft to it... It's just that the sport watch feels extremely light in comparison.

16. durangojim thread starter macrumors member

I actually didn't notice much if any difference because my Rolex is much heavier than both and that's what I wear almost every day.

----------

I bought the Apple watch to wear at work so I could stay in touch with my family. I plan to switch back to the Rolex each evening when I get home. I'm using the Aplle watch more a a tool with a specific purpose rather than just a daily watch.

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

No it wont. You will get one in may. iPhone 6 had way more demand and issues and most recieved their orders earlier than expected.

----------

WOW! :eek:

I feel weirdly guilty for not being a fan of rolex watches. I dont like the way they look quite honestly. :confused:

I have yet to see one I like.

18. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I agree. I'm no fan of Rolex - a simple Timex watch is all I need. Something for utilitarian purpose - to read the TIME and DATE.

I guess I'm more of the David Letterman type - I'd rather wear sneakers with a suit and tie (and I do), because they're more comfortable. I'm not about style - I won't dress in jogging pants and a t-shirt, but I will dress up, but also dress up with reasonable comfort.

That Rolex in the initial picture looks hideous to me. So complicated looking, and nothing I'd be caught dead in.

I like the space-grey aluminum model because it's the least blingy of the watches. It won't scream that I'm wearing an Apple Watch - because I'm not wearing the Apple Watch to be noticed, I'm wearing it for its utility.

19. TJone macrumors 6502a

I went with Space Grey Sport 42mm too because it will not stand out as much. The 1st generation Watch is bulky and not beautiful like a Rolex so I would rather it not stand out that much.

20. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Actually, I'd suggest that your "utilitarian" style is every bit as much of a style and fashion statement. You're trying to say that you emphasize comfort, or don't have time to be concerned with making trend-conscious decisions. That in itself is very much a style that is often-replicated and imitated.

You yourself say that the Rolex is "hideous" -- you're a making a style decision when the Rolex is completely utilitarian - it tells the date and time.