Tried the iPhone 5 at the Apple Store Today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

So I tried the iPhone 5 at the Apple Store today. Just as I expected, the screen was not impressive as it is still so puny compared to every other major smartphone on the market. It really needs more surface area, specifically width, in order to be useful to do things like reading webpages in portrait mode comfortably. A 4 inch 16:9 screen was good.......3 years ago. This is 2012, get with the program Apple. Trying the iPhone 5 out in person has cemented by decision to go with something else for my next smartphone. After trying the Samsung Galaxy S3 and seeing its much larger screen, my God, what a revelation on what I've had to put up with on the tiny screens of iPhones.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I actually went from the S3 to the iPhone. Good luck seeing your screen outdoors. :)

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Feeling a tad insecure are you?

5. darster Suspended

Who cares? Do you want an extra cookie in your happy meal?

6. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Big screen's are what iPad's are for....iPhone 5 + iPad 3 = win :apple:

7. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Again with the screen size. Bigger isn't a feature, it's a preference.

8. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

You fit that all in your pant pockets? Impressive.

9. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Good luck with that. I hear you can pick one up for .99 cents these days on contract.

10. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Heres why I choose iPhone over Android:

1. iOS is better, safer than Android
    2. Quality of Phone > Android Phone
    3. Resale Value
    4. I need 2 hands to use an S3 since its so big and wide

So go to your S3, I don't care.

11. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Guess there is plenty of empty space if you know what I"m saying.. :cool::D

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The ideal screen size is subjective; not everyone wants a huge screen and not everyone wants a small screen.

13. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

I just love the comments these days. We want things to be "mobile" yet bigger screen = awesome (aka better advice). The the fact that people associate ultra bigger screen with good advice is just laughable. I'm not saying I have any issues with people who wants to get a device with huge screen, I think that's a personal choice. But using screen size as justification of better device, that's just weak.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I still don't understand the big screen thing on a phone. It's a hassle to carry around (especially in a pocket) and its looks dorky stuck to the side of your face while making a call. Reminds me of the boom-box craze with people carrying them around on their shoulders.

If you want a big screen, go with the iPad. Otherwise, enjoy looking stupid while talking to mom.

16. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I still would have bought the iPhone 5 EVEN if the screen was the same size. Have you ever used android OS? What a horrible experience. I would rather pay for something that "just works.".

17. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

The most important issue here is that you enjoy whatever device you eventually opt for . . . Enjoy!

18. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Why are you even here? This is a forum for people who like Apple products, looking at your recent posts all you do is post about how bad you think Apple and their products are.

If you don't like it then feel free to leave, we won't miss you, you're not going to change anybody's mind with your rants.

19. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why someone would come here and post such useless nonsense in the iPhone thread. Weird and pathetic in a way.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agreed. I want my phone to be small. I have an iPad for more significant browsing.

21. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Personally, I think the new iphone screen is perfect. The S3's screen is more of a notebook style.

Although I would agree that Apple should have given it to us sooner.

22. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

You better be related to the jolly green giant if you plan on using the s3 with one hand.

23. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Because he has an android ice cream sandwich and jelly bean up his ass! what's the next OS upgrade? Mint chocolate chip? Rocky road?

24. jgag macrumors member

Apple doesn't need to "get with the program". Apple is the program. They will sell more iPhone 5s than Samsung will ever sell S3s. If screen size is the major factor in determining your smartphone preference, then I guess things like build quality, OS stability and resale value don't matter to you.

25. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Why does everyone think that to be a good smart phone it needs to have a monstrous screen.

The beauty of the world is choices. If you wanna big screen there are many to chose from. However, if you like a smaller screen then the iPhone is a good fit.

I was reluctant to go to 4" but to go any larger and it would not appeal to me.

Obviously the current form factor does not fit you so don't get it. But, just cause you don't like it does not mean that the design is inferior or out of date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.