Tried to restore Macbook Air (2013) and now it says can't find boot drive?

sofakng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I tried to restore my Macbook Air 2013 by holding Ctrl-R to enter recovery and then I selected "Restore OSX" (or whatever the option was).

I went to sleep while it downloaded and restored the operating system, but when I woke up it was on a text screen saying "Unable to find bootable drive" or something similar.

What happened and how can I fix this? :(

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I tried to restore my Macbook Air 2013 by holding Ctrl-R to enter recovery and then I selected "Restore OSX" (or whatever the option was).

I went to sleep while it downloaded and restored the operating system, but when I woke up it was on a text screen saying "Unable to find bootable drive" or something similar.

What happened and how can I fix this? :(
Was there some problem that caused you to do this?

Try a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery. Once that starts use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD, then click install OS.

I assume here your data is backed up somewhere, as this will erase it form the Macbook.

muswellbrook

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2013
same here!

I have a similar problem - tried to restore a Macbook Air (2013) and it says 'the software installation failed. Contact vendor for support'. Took it to the Apple store and they reckon its a undiagnosed hardware problem - but I wonder... I did all the hardware checks and it was fine. I'm speculating, but perhaps Apple haven't provided the disk images for the new Airs on their recovery servers yet....