Tried to use the finger scanner, really did...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Anyone else in the same boat?

I've never been one to use a passcode, just don't like the inconvenience even though I recognize it's a good idea to do so. Now with the finger scanner, I figured I could finally lock my phone and not be inconvenienced, so for the first couple days of using the 5S, I left the feature on.

Unfortunately it's still a pain in the butt. Sometimes it seems to work instantly, which is great, but other times I sit there repositioning my thumb to get it to rear. Usually it works, I'd say 9/10 times, but sometimes not at all and I end up putting in the code manually.

That's not even so bad...what really bothers me is when you have a missed call or you get a text. Im used to just swiping from the lock screen and going straight into the call or message...but with the lock code, if you swipe, it brings up the passcode input screen and then you have to hold your finger there.

Guess it's just not for me, which is a shame as I like the idea. On that note, I wis you could set the scanner to be used for App purchases but not for the lockscreen (and I mean no lockscreen code at all).

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd rather be inconvenienced for a second than leave my iPhone with tons of info open to the public.

3. 617aircav Suspended

I agree I had to disable it and just use the passcode. With touch I'd enables you can't set a timer when you want the phone to lock. Once the screen times out it requires the scan. Too annoying.

4. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

5. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Hmmm odd. It's been working great for me. It is so far my favorite feature.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

OP, this is what I did...delete your stored scans and re-do them. This time, really concentrate on holding the phone more naturally, the way you typically would if you casually pressed the home button to check something. Also, during the scan process, move your finger to a wider variety of positions. Rehearse it a couple if times in different natural positions.

The less rigid you are about making the scans, the more naturally you can hold the phone when you are trying to use the feature, and the more seamless the experience.

7. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Works absolutely fine for me, as a matter of fact I had a text passcode so the fingerprint is much faster. Honestly, it feels faster then even when I had a PIN passcode. I have probably seen "Try Again" twice now since Friday.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I agree. I totally love it. I never liked using the passcode, so the finger scanner is great.

9. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I mainly use my right thumb to click the home button but I also programmed in my left thumb and both index fingers. While I haven't had any issues using my right thumb, the rest of the fingers I get "try again" almost every time unless I concentrate on placing the finger correctly. I just deleted them and redid them and this time was more careful about moving my finger slightly between scans to cover the whole thing. So far so good. I haven't seen try again yet. I'd suggest redoing the prints before giving up. Its a great feature.

10. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Also you have to use the same finger that is recorded. You can't record your right thumb and then use your index finger to unlock. I'm sure that's obvious to many people. I forgot about that a couple of times in the past few days and couldn't figure out why I couldn't touch unlock either.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't think the OP is saying it's not working, rather it's not as convenient as not having a pass code at all. To this I agree but it's enough of a convenience increase from a pass code that it's worth it, for me

If you are a frequent texted you can always set the phone to not lock for one to something like thirty minutes after it's already been unlocked. I recommend you try something 1-5 minutes and see how you like it. This wil still protect if you lose the phone (the more time you allow the higher te risk) while being a little more convenient.

I personally cannot wait until other apps, such as banking will be using the scanner!

13. xraytech, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

xraytech macrumors 68020

Increase your odds of getting a hit. Store multiple finger prints.

What will also help is to try not to be so deliberate when you imprint your print. Don't try to place your print nicely center on the home button every time when you are teaching the phone your print.

14. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

As I don't have a 5S, I could be way off base here, so apologies if so.

From the videos I've seen, whilst it's scanning a print during setup, I thought you were supposed to move your thumb / finger around so it captures all of the print from the pad and tip to the sides.

Is that not the case?

15. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

No that is not how it works. Simple place your finger on the sensor and it unlocks. I found mine works well but disabled the function as I have never used a password on my phone. I do not leave mine laying around and all sensitive data is stored in my Keep data vault.

16. KeanosMagicHat, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply LC, I might not have been clear, however.

I was talking about during setup. There are several articles that mention the following;

"Place the finger you use to unlock your iPhone onto the home button until the device vibrates then lift up. Repeat this process until the gray fingerprint displayed is fully red.

You will then be prompted to capture the edges of your fingerprint. Repeat the same process of touching your finger to the sensor then lifting up but this time focus on capturing the sides of your fingerprint".

Source Article

I'm right handed and the natural position (for me) when I tap the home button to unlock my phone is to have my thumb pointing at an angle of around 250-270 degrees (if the top of the phone is 0/360) and using the right side of my thumbprint - so not the pad.

When I upgrade to the 6, which hopefully will have a scanner too, this will be my starting point for initially setting up my phone and I'd move my print around from there.

Perhaps those having issues might want to start again and really make sure they capture all of the print, starting from the most comfortable position they would normally adopt to unlock the phone?

17. sandwicher macrumors member

I'm not sure if you're telling the truth, but should your phone rings and you wish to answer the call, you just slide to answer (NO NEED for pass code or fingerprints). It has always been like this.

18. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

I tested it out in the apple store, tried it out 100 times or so, and failed once when my thumb was at the tip near my nail.

Maybe you didn't give a good fingerprint scan?

19. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I agree with what the OP said about not being able to slide right into the most recent text or missed call or whatever notification. I've always done that since the day they enabled it. It's very annoying to not be able to do so anymore.

Having said that, my Touch ID scanner is working flawlessly and much faster than a pass code. I never used pass codes before because it was just too slow to get into the phone if I was in a hurry. Now just press home button, leave finger for about a half second, and boom, problem solved!

20. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I never been the one for passcodes ... I love the finger print scanner though ... Now my phone stays locked

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Never used a passcode, but now I am using Touch ID and it is great.

I do agree it is a bit annoying to have to scan when swiping on a text or email, but I feel it is a small price to pay.

I do wish you could lock individual apps though, but I would end up locking my Messages app anyways...

And as for the screen timeout, I just increased it to three minutes. Might be a bit more of a battery drain, but I got through yesterday with around 40% remaining.

22. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This. If it's not working all the time store multiple prints for each finger you use.

Also, apple mentioned that the more you use it the better it gets at reading your print. Seems to be true because I usually use my left thumb to unlock and it is more reliable than using any of my other stores prints.

23. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

You can record upto 5 fingers...