Trifecta of boorishness!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JNB, Jan 4, 2008.

1. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The scumbag. An omsbudsman from the US armed forces should step in and represent this guy in his absence.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A Sgt with a job as a marine in a war zone parking in Chicago with vanity plates? Something about him even being there stinks to high heaven.

This scenario doesn't sound right to me given my experience living and working in Chicago.

However, the burden of proof is on him whether anyone likes it or not. He better have saved some DNA or this isn't going anywhere.

I forgot to mention what I think of parents that would allow their son of that age to park in chicago in that capacity too.

Or do we only reserve skepticism for rape cases these days until they are through the courts?

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sounds like it's playing the military card vrs. playing the race card. What fun.

Meh. It's keying a car. While assuming this is true, this lawyer is a real piece of work, there are bigger issues afoot in this country.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ha! Good one. Does seem to be a bit of hypocrisy, but then, what else is new. I am thinking the lawyer is guilty though and should just pay the soldier off, but I'm wondering if that would be good enough for either of them. The soldier obviously feels he has a case, and wants this to be a felony, doesn't seem to be about the money.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No, it certainly doesn't. But what I'm missing here is the lawyer's motive in the first place. Why did he do it?

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Jay R. Grodner's web site seems to be down. Coincidence?

Dude's a piece of work. Hope Sgt. McNulty wins this one. It's amazing how ballsy the system is in telling him "Oh, he's a lawyer, so he's going to get away with this."

Shouldn't this be a sign or a rallying cry or something for the rest of us to rally around and do something about? I mean, how pathetic are we as a society when we say "Oh well, no biggie." In a case like this -- and we are talking a felony here -- the system itself comes out and tells us it's corrupt, and we just turn our heads?

Whatever it says about the system, it's equally damning with regards to the collective "us", too, you know...

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Real nice. What an first-class jackass this guy Grodner is.

I'm surprised, though, military obligations being what they are, that Mike has to appear personally in court to make this stick. Can't he present written testimony through his lawyer? If they have to have a two-way conversation with him, can't they do it via phone/videoconference?

9. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah, he's definitely a first-class citizen all the way. It would seem that the blogosphere has kinda picked up on this, as those were all blogs found through googling his name.

EDIT: How low he will go is quite funny, nevertheless.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because he's a jerk? Well... he is a lawyer. :p Sorry, couldn't resist.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why do I have the feeling that all of the right-wing blogs out there wouldn't be even half as outraged as they are now if this was, say, a racially motivated keying rather than an anti-military keying?

12. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

Why do I have the feeling that all of the left-wing blogs out there aren't outraged at all? Not that I know, or care, just that your statement seems a little gratuitous, and simply turning it around makes as little (or as much) sense. This was a personal (fairly cowardly) attack on the property of an individual, strictly because of that individuals presumed association to a group. Sounds like a hate crime to me. Who cares what blogs do or don't decide to discuss it? Who the hell reads blogs, anyway, other than those that write them?

Why do people insist on taking the simple-minded, left/right approach? What the lawyer did was appalling enough for it's small-mindedness, but when we, as observers, can't bring ourselves out of our stupid little political boxes long enough to do anything other than, "yeah, well, the other side does it too," or some other childish rationalization, then we're worse off as a society that I feared.

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I certainly don't think what the lawyer did was right by any means.

It's wrong to key anyone's car, regardless of job or race. I suppose I just don't understand why this is a newsworthy issue, since cars are keyed daily across this country.

14. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

JNB

It wasn't the act in and of itself; on that you're dead on. It was the apparent motivation and subsequent actions of the lawyer that ginned up all the furor.

We're past the point of what people do in many cases in favor of why they did it. Thought crimes, basically. Not that these actions haven't always been around, just that in a 27/7 news cycle and the internet, we're seeing more and more of these actions exposed. Some good may come of it, but who knows.