Trolls Beware

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An article shows the National Science Foundation is spending nearly a half a million dollars to combat “online trolling.”

They define trolling as trying to influence public opinion by boosting “misleading” and “inauthentic comments.”

It sounds like it might be money well spent but, do you think it will make any difference without censoring the internet ?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The abstracts for both grant proposals refer to using existing data to detect astroturfing. I linked this twitter example the other day.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

FIRST immigration, then the cops, now this? man I can't catch a break :(

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The real way to deal with a Troll is to coat them in a teriyaki glaze, place them in the oven at 400º for 45 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes, carve into thin slices, and serve with a side of mashed potatoes.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Do you think it will work to identify trolling and then what do they do if they decide it's trolling ?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thought you loved me :(

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What to do about it once it's discovered would be out of the scope of the research. Dealing with them is still the concern of private companies. The research seems to focus on detection where multiple identities are used, not a case study of effective measures in actually dealing with them.

I don't know if it will work. It depends if they can correctly determine whether multiple actions or posts can be correctly guessed as being from the same person. It's just an abstract though.

I was going to suggest it looks like a data mining problem. Of the two professors, one appears to have a background in network security (it says networking, but his publications relate to security concerns). I'm not sure about the other one. He has studied social media quite a lot. At a glance (and I could be wrong) it doesn't seem like the primary area of interest for either one, assuming I didn't grossly misinterpret the abstracts.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

What are they going to do pay trolls not to troll?

Sounds like a good use of money... :eek: :confused:

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

would be nice to get a paycheck for all my efforts :D

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

MSNBC is still on the air so I don't think they are combating trolling very well at all.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Nope. There's a lot of baiting out there, you should sift through Facebook once in a while to see how bad it truly is - people even put up pictures of John Lennon with quotes that never attributed to John Lennon (or reading up on this history of that person, which was much different than the music he sold to the rubes), but depending on their definition the NSF would also have to stop mainstream media sources from putting out, well, anything, and for the identical reasons. The news can mislead people seem to hear about world events from the news. The news is the source. Why not re-regulate and break up the 6 media companies, since deregulation was claimed to be the reason for the consolidations and buyouts to begin with? Oh, wait, that will worsen the problem. So the deregulation in the telecom act was actually a good thing, I can accept that.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2016 ---
    Is this what you look like every time you find a mirror?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

:D