TrooperGate Report Friday

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 9, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

Expect the McCain campaign to sink to new lows tomorrow.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not to worry. Slick Sarah has released the results of her own investigation into her potential wrongdoing, and guess what? She completely clears herself!
    What a shocker! Why bother with investigations at all? Why don't we just let the subject of every investigation produce the definitive report? I'm sure it would be totally truthful and accurate.

I'm sure if we'd asked Bill Clinton to write the Starr report, he'd have said the same things. Same with William Jefferson. He totally would have written about the wads of cash stuffed into his freezer. And Eliot Spitzer would have voluntarily told everyone that he liked young hookers.

Sure.... :rolleyes:

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why not. It's worked for George Bush.

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Well. To be honest, Bush simply ignores the law, which is within his abilities as President... especially when you place ANYTHING you do square in the path of "in the course of defending the country" (which absolves all sin). I'm also sure he's acquired an amazing portfolio of incriminating and embarrassing details to more than muffle any hint of formidable dissent.

~ CB

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Anyone watching MSNBC?

They are reporting the report came as she did INDEED abuse her powers.

So much for the McCain campaign! :eek:

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Doubt it.

Hang on everyone, take your dramamine!!!!

8. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She abused her power.
    She did nothing illegal.

According to talking head on MSNBC, she has lost the moral high ground she has been spewing.

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Meh, it's not even first billed on HuffPost...

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm not an Alaskan so I can't say if she broke the law or not but a bipartisan committee said she broke the public trust. She lied and covered up stuff.

If that scenario were in the Executive branch of the US Government we'd be talking impeachment.

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There's a little something for everybody in this report, to be fair.

The McCainies will say that it states clearly it was not the only reason she fired Moneghan, and that no disciplinary action need be taken.

The Obamans will say that it states that she abused her executive powers.

Either way at the very least it shows poor judgment on her part, and places her where she's hardly in a position to criticize somebody else's wisdom.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If she broke no laws it makes me wonder why she was so much against it. Is there something still out there people don't know about?

14. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

New lows? McCain-Palin stand a 9.5% pecent chance of winning this election, according to fivethirtyeight.com. How low can you go? Some people are just going to vote republican, no matter what.

Unless Obama self destructs, and this is what it would take at this point, there is little McCain-Palin could do to that 9.5% percent number good or bad. McCain-Palin would have to do something desperate and stupid, like ditch the GOP and start their own party, to piss off what few loyalists they have on board now to drop below 9.5% percent. They could go lower at this point if they somehow decided that the economy was "doing great" and that W had done a great job in handling our domestic front. :)

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

But I thought only washington insider abused power? She's from alaska, why would she do this

And after all those claims Palin, this is what we get?

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

They way I see it an abuse of power is as bad as treason. It is using ones leverage or personal gains (financial or otherwise).

It's not just Palin either. It is 80% of people in public office. Problem is she flaps her gums about fighting for the moral good.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

It doesn't sound big enough for news and I don't think it will hurt an already crippled campaign. McCain's only hope this late in the game is to put out very negative ads on Obama and hope America is stupid enough to believe them. Personally, I just don't think that really works very well these days since most of us have tired of negative campaign ads. But I am sure McCain has a few negative ads that will shock us in their desperation which are yet to air.

The best thing the candidates can do, and have done for the most part, is to tell us why we should vote for them, and what they plan to do for the country. One can't get very far by saying, "vote for me, because the other guy is a crook".

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The local paper here stated "Palin's unlawful abuse of power". I don't think it is going to affect the GOP ticket, however maybe now the only thing Palin will really be able to do is run around swing state screaming "He's Muslim, He's Muslim"

19. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That would be amazing fodder for Tina Fey.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Fer real? :confused: :rolleyes:

21. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The abuse of power was illegal (against ethics law), so she did do something illegal. The actual firing of Monegan was legal because he was an at-will employee and she followed proper procedure.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Palin is calling the results partisan, but that's BS - the committe is composed of 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats. And the vote to release the report was unanimous.

All this should be telling us is that Palin can't govern a state with less people than Obama serves as senator.

VP is obviously well outside her capabilities.

This affair, along with the shockingly ignorant remarks McCain supporters are making at rallies ("He's a terrorist/Muslim/Arab", "Kill him" etc.), will probably cost the campaign dearly.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Much the same idea as getting instruction for the Flight Crew, if you sit at an Emergency Exit. :rolleyes:

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Um..what? Bush has done that several times. No impeachment there.

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I notice on the US news channels that the Republican ideologues are doing their utmost to propagate the idea of partisan bias. This in spite of the commission consisting of ten Republicans and four Democratic members, and their unanimous decision (minus the two Republicans absent) to release the report to the public.

Say it ain't so, Sarah John!