Troops Haven't Fought "For Our Freedom" For a Long Time

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Nov 1, 2009.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I know. I need to put up a huge flame shield but here I go anyway.

I am sick and tired of seeing a nice emotional ad or message about our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and somewhere in there is the line "... fighting for our freedom".

Seriously? How can anyone believe this lie?

They're not fighting for our freedom. If they're fighting for anyone's freedom, it's the freedom of Iraqis' and for the people of Afghanistan. These are, in my opinion and only if done correctly, very worthy causes. Of course, people don't care nearly enough about another people's freedom to support having troops over there than they do for their own freedom.

There is no way you can conclude that our "war" on "terrorism" is being fought so we can keep our democracy and our freedom. Sure, we may be fighting to not be killed by them again, but not for our freedom.

What is MR's opinion on this matter?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would say the freedom to live kinda trumps other freedoms.;) The freedom to have gay marriages doesn't mean anything if you are dead.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Failing with the war in Afghanistan isn't going to land up with us all dead.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Where did I say it would?:rolleyes:

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Fighting for any nebulously defined concept is an utter tragedy.

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Since when are they going to kill all of us at once? Isn't stirring up stuff in the middle east dangerous for the whole world? We can't be in the mindset we sacrifice lives now to maybe prevent lives in the future.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've been flamed on these threads for posting the same concept in threads recently.

Terrorism isn't going to take any of our freedoms away, except the ones we let our government take in response to that terrorism(Ex. The Patriot Act).

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because terrorism is killing so many people compared to other issues in the world. Why aren't we waging war on AIDS or war on Car Crashes instead?

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Where did I say that would happen? I responded to part of your post. Sure, we may be fighting to not be killed by them, but not our freedom. Whoever is killed by the Islamic extremists has been denied the freedom of life.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the war failing in Afghanistan/Iraq isn't going to lead to us being dead, why bring up gay marriage at all?

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Being ex-military during a war that was as mis-guided as the current wars I can say that a soldier/sailor does his/her job regardless of the validity of the war. So in essence they are fighting for our freedom because they are doing their job. Whether or not their superiors are doing it for freedom isn't relative to the everyday soldier/sailor.

At any given time it is possible that a legitimate war could break out and those same soldiers/sailors would still be doing the same job.

I hope that made sense.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It was an example of a freedom that is less important than the freedom of life.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

if you look at the regions religion, freedom, tolerance and live and let live are not at the top of the list. revenge and kill in the name of.... seems to rule the day.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You could make the same argument for people murdered every year or the people killed in traffic accidents and even in 2001 there were greater numbers murdered (and far greater numbers killed in traffic accidents) in the US than were killed by Islamic terrorists.

EDIT:

Given around 10% of the population is gay, and marriage is pretty important for most people, gay marriage seems to be pretty important right.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

And that's something we should all be grateful for. I really, really, really don't want a third World War, kthxbai!

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But if we don't need to fight for our freedom, then why are we fighting at all?

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Inept little men with massive egos wanted their names in the history books?

The last time our troops fought "for our freedom" was 1939-45, since then it's largely been regional conflicts of our choosing. Call me melodramatic(!) but I don't think we'd survive a third bout of global total war.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It made plenty of sense, but I don't think bobber was talking about the motivations of the individual soldiers.
    That would depend on who's on whose side.

19. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think we would all be fecked regardless of the sides.

20. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

21. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I'm with you. Petty much since the 50's really our troops have only fought for corporate interests. For people doing their own homework and perhaps also avoiding the US propaganda programming I think this is entirely obvious. The problem is that the number of people doing that is less than about 5% of the literate adult population. It helps A LOT if you live abroad and/or read & write several languages as news and information that is vastly underplayed or that the American people are not exposed to at all is available and brought into public discussion.

I've been living in Asia somewhere for the past 20 to 30 years and I get an almost totally different picture of what the US is up to and why - militarily speaking as well as politically.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This thread would be more accurate if the title was changed to "The Military" instead of "troops".

The word "troops" implies the collective of soldiers and sailors.

The word "Military" is more accurate.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Fighting for Freedom has been Fighting for Bush Family Military Investments for a long, long time.

24. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Far more have been killed at the hands of their "liberators" than the Islamic extremists.

War is big business.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, but not because of the huge amount of new government spending though!