trouble with imovie11 using my converted sony handycam videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manabita110, Aug 22, 2011.

1. manabita110 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have never posted on a forum, but I am desperate for some help, I have been searching the internet for hours trying to find a solution and I haven't so far so I decided to try this route. Hopefully someone can help me.
    To start off with I will give you my system info:
    I am working on a MacBook Pro Mac OS X Version 10.6.7 with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    I am using imovie11 version 9.0.2

I have recorded video using my sony handycam DCR-SX44

I moved all of the video files off of my handycam and on to the desktop. I then downloaded Any Video Converter, and converted all of the files from .mpg to .mp4 The original codecs were MPEG-2, AC3, now the codecs are H.264, AAC, Hint (thats what it says, all this goes way over my head)

Then I started working on video editing with imovie, I successfully imported one file, then I imported another, however, when it showed me the thumbnail of it it just showed a black screen with a strip of the video across the top. I though this was just a problem with the thumbnail but when I went to play the video there was no image, only a black screen and the tiny strip of a video across the top of the screen... I converted all of the videos the same way so it doesn't make sense that imovie would import some of them fine but not others. I have successfully imported three clips where I can see the whole image, the other clips show a black screen with a strip across the top.

I know that its not a problem with the video clip because I watched them all on my handycam before I put them on the computer, and now that they are converted I can watch them all on Quicktime and they show the whole image, not just a strip of it across the top...

Can anyone help me with this problem?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

H.264 is not a format designed for easy editing. I would suggest downloaded MPEGStreamclip and convert to Quicktime using the Apple Intermediate Codec option, as that is what iMovie will convert your clips to anyway.
    http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html