Trouble with transfering folders and pictures to and from an external harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smarterchild, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Smarterchild macrumors member

I just yesturday bought a Mbp 15' I7. I have been using a My book 2TB mac and pc external hardrive for all my pictures. I am having trouble able to make new folders or even drop pictures or folders in the hard drive. I am able to access the files and view them and open them.

Whenever i try to drag and drop the folder using my View NX nikon software it would automatically say

"Cannot continue this operation because you dont have acess privileges.
    Please change your acess privileges on the file using the files info/properties dialog on your operating system."

im new to mac and would like some assistance please :)

2. celticpride678

Try to repair disk permissions in Disk Utility.

3. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

tried that. I ran it for my computer but wasnt able to with my hard drive

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If the MyBook is formatted for PCs as NTFS, Macs can only read from it, not write to it (without a 3rd party utility). If it's formatted for PCs as FAT32, Macs can read and write to it. If it's formatted as Mac OS Extended (either Journaled or not) then Macs can read and write to it, but PCs can't do anything without a 3rd party utility. Do you know how your MyBook drive was formatted?

5. Smarterchild thread starter macrumors member

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you have the MyBook connected, select it and do a Get Info (Command + I) on it and it will list what format it is in. If it's NTFS, you can download/install NTFS-3G to give you read AND write abilities.