Troubled by the inadequate amount of RAM shipped in the new Mac Pro's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iondot, Aug 26, 2010.

1. iondot macrumors member

The 3GB RAM shipped in the new single processor Mac Pro's seems inadequate, or at the very most, a spare minimum. I can think of few users who would find it enough. The set up feels intentionally designed to push buyers towards Apple's overpriced RAM.

For most buyers, however, they will avoid Apple and simply buy their RAM elsewhere and toss the original 3GB (or tuck it away, to inevitably toss it later.)

This is probably not news to you, but I find it distastefully wasteful. Those original RAM modules become more unnecessary waste.

I'd frankly prefer an option to have mine ship with no RAM.

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

buy a car ? the base is nothing like when you actually get it out the door ?

they sell it with the minimum amount so you will buy more they make more on extra sales ? some do it some dont

I would also like that option ?? you will never see them sell it empty !!!!! but sure you know that :)

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think there are a couple reasons behind it. Like you mentioned, they want you to buy their RAM - over priced, etc. Also, they know many people will want different amounts of memory, which would mean everyone that would buy one would go and buy a different amount of memory. They know that most people who buy a Pro are well aware that their memory is overpriced and will buy it elsewhere, so there isn't much point in putting more in and wasting money. Sure, they could start with 6GB in the base model, but that would mean they have to spend more money to put the 2GB sticks in, which the consumer will then not use, seeing as that would put a pretty low cap on the total memory. Starting with 12GB would be nice, but that would be too expensive for apple to actually do without jacking up the price quite a bit. It's actually smarter business to stick with the low amount, knowing what people do with pro machines.

4. iondot thread starter macrumors member

I don't doubt it is good business. I object to it on the moral grounds my Grandfather taught me about unnecessary waste.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

They would ship it with no RAM, but people would bitch. "It's not even functional out of the box now! Pros have been abandoned! Call Adobe and convert your cd keys! ABANDON SHIP!!!!!!"

So they ship it with a token amount of RAM that is guaranteed compatible, so you can fire up once to test it, then throw in your aftermarket RAM that Apple is well-aware that everyone buys. The BTO RAM is just to scalp corporations where "just buy 16GB from OWC" might not fly.

6. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

There are some light users on quads who use 3GB ok. But for others the 1GB sticks are a waste. What do people do with them? I've seen threads where you can give them in part exchange when buying new. Could start a poll. One the reasons many bought octos last 2009 round.

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Its good it ships with such little RAM. It means that we can save more by buying RAM from OWC, etc., rather than having a higher price with more RAM bundled. It would be funny shipping with no RAM lol.

8. Deepshade macrumors regular

It's amazing isn't it
    the base iMac ships with 4 Gig

BUT you have to pay more to get a supposedly PRO machine with more RAM?
    than Apples basic desktop all in one!

6 gig on a machine like this should be the minimum

More Apple thumbscrewing the user for more cash.......
    .....and, if you do decide to pay through the nose, they don't know when they can deliver them!

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The iMac is suppose to the a "consumer" machine; grandparents who don't want to deal with installing RAM will get the iMac.

If you are no the hands-on type or you have no idea how to install your own RAM, change HDDs, the Mac Pro isn't the machine for you. That is unless you need the performance for a job which more many cases means you will pay for upgrades from Apple.

10. eponym macrumors 6502

You must find it really confusing when 6-figure super cars don't come with a stereo.

11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I've always heard Apple simply provides just enough RAM to boot the Mac because Memory prices being so volatile.

12. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

It appears to me that the 3 GB base configuration is an encouragement to use third party upgrades to enhance the workstation.

Professionals that need peripheral expansion for their work aren't going to buy Apple products, companies like OWC and TransIntl can carve out a healthy niche providing expansion supplies for professional, "prosumers" and enthusiasts.

13. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I think it should be defaulted to 3GB of RAM, like it is. Then there should be a BTO option that is 0GB of RAM that subtracts $$ from the price.

It's a "pro" machine. I buy servers (I know it's different), that don't even come w/ an OS!! So it should be an option for those that want it.

"Buy a car lately?"

That is changing too. Honda and Toyota are selling cars to tuners that are intentionally stripped down so that people can add what they want after they get it. Honda and Toyota know this so they've catered to their customers.

Quit making excuses for apple. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we should expect more from apple, we may just get it!!!:)

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

That was the case with G5s, 2006, 2007 and 2008 models. They changed it with the 09s and the 2010 models kept it.

15. DigitalVT macrumors member

DigitalVT

Errr they need to ship it with some form of RAM to be able to check the unit is functional before shipping, No RAM, can't check the unit is functional!! It is a shame and a waste and yeah I'd like to be able to configure the RAM in the Dual Processors with lots of RAM but just over 2 x 3 Sticks, but do they??

16. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

That's why it should be a BTO option. They put the default RAM in it, test it's functionality, then when someone orders one w/o any RAM they take it out! When someone orders one with more ram they have to crack the case and put more RAM in, why can't they take it out, and let us recoop the cost of the RAM we might not want or need??

17. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

one thing also companies like Apple or Dell or HP etc.. need to maintain some price consistency
    the lowest amount needed gets them some stability in pricing and easer to let that base price not fluctuate so much when memory price fluctuates as a accessory sale its not so noticed if they had base installs of larger amounts the price would be way to much and sadly as we know a empty machine wont happen ?

bzollinger it would be like selling a car with no wheels ? even though you plan on buying after market wheels or tires anyway ? I doubt it would happen ? unless they sold you the wheels :) not the best analogy but close enough

sucks I so wish I could take off the price of apple memory and save that coin !!! like everyone else here :)

18. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

Apple's not trying to be logical, less wasteful, or practical with 3gb of RAM, but what they are being, is magical. They don't want to make sense, they want to mystify us with all their magical innovations.

19. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Dell used to sell some high-end machines with the cheapest 80 GB hard drive they could find (that was when you could still find 80 GB drives), with the obvious intent that you unpack the machine, throw the 80 GB drive away, and fill it with a few 2TB drives. People have always asked for Apple to sell machines with no RAM, no drive.

20. Sahib7 macrumors member

Is it possible to add a single 4GB RAM module (Kingston Value DDR ECC unbuffered) to the 3 preinstalled 1GB modules to get a total of 7GB?
    I would like to upgrade to 3x4GB (triple channel) later.

21. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Crucial is my favorite memory provider.

From Crucial site:

"You can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance."

if you call them I'm sure they'd advise.

Also

"You cannot mix Registered and Unbuffered memory. If you use the Crucial 16GB Kit (CT1421777) or 24GB Kit (CT1469680) all previous existing memory must be removed."

22. Sahib7 macrumors member

That's great. So it should be possible at a performance penalty of approx. 2%

23. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's not an unnecessary waste. They need to sell you a computer that is in working order.

24. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Keep them for when you get the system repaired or when you sell it.

25. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

This. Either you know what to do and that means buying RAM elsewhere, far cheaper, or it's the wrong computer for you.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people buying a $2,000+ computer to know what they're doing and employ some strategy with their purchases. Or conversely, having enough money to throw at the problem to just get more RAM from .