Troubleshooting advice needed, A1181 inverter replaced now no video or boot tones

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WildCard^, Nov 3, 2013.

1. WildCard^, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

WildCard^ macrumors regular

I got a used A1181 Macbook 2008 for a good price, with the only known problem that there was a video issue whereby the video only worked properly when LCD was barely open. Otherwise the video would turn off. Research here and at google told me issue was likely the inverter cable or inverter board. I bought a replacement cable on ebay.

Following instructions on iFixit, I got to the inverter cable. The cable doesn't have any obvious bare wire shorting. I replaced the cable anyways. I reseated the inverter board to confirm its connections were good.

Got it back together, minus the final screws and battery. I plugged it in, hit power. I heard the fan power up, but no video and no starting chime.

I will take it apart again and this time replace the inverter board, but wanted to get your advice:
    1) There are no reasons why it should not work just because I don't have the screws and battery installed, right? All components are connected properly, just wanted confirmation of a boot and good video before I reseal all screws.
    2) What troubleshooting would you do to narrow down what I might have done wrong? I am bothered that whatever I did, now it doesn't even boot past post.

Thanks for your advice.

/followup: when I close the lid, the system goes into standby/sleep (front led goes slowly up and down in brightness. Opening up case automatically turns on fan and I hear normal HD activity. Just no video or sound.

2. trevm999 macrumors member

Correct, it should work.

Do a SMC and NVRAM resets. Sometimes they just stop doing the post chime unless until you do a NVRAM reset. Connect to a external display to see if it is actually booting up or not.